• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How does a convicted felon get his/her voting rights back?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

izzame2

About twenty seven years ago I committed a class 4 felony in a fight over a girl in Illinois and I have since moved to Minnesota.I searched the net and found that convicted felons in Minnesota can vote as per the Minnesota statute # 609.165 . Does the return of voting rights occur automatically after completion of court appointed punishment or do I need to go to court to have my voting rights restored? I'm wondering if I could just go ahead and vote since the felony occurred 27 years ago but, I'm afraid it could open up some legal problems if I get summoned to jury duty which would require me to state to the court that I have a felony conviction.Any thoughts? thanks

Silverplum

About twenty seven years ago I committed a class 4 felony in a fight over a girl in Illinois and I have since moved to Minnesota.I searched the net and found that convicted felons in Minnesota can vote as per the Minnesota statute # 609.165 . Does the return of voting rights occur automatically after completion of court appointed punishment or do I need to go to court to have my voting rights restored? I'm wondering if I could just go ahead and vote since the felony occurred 27 years ago but, I'm afraid it could open up some legal problems if I get summoned to jury duty which would require me to state to the court that I have a felony conviction.Any thoughts? thanks
Here's a start to learning:
http://projectvote.org/felon-voting.html

http://projectvote.org/images/publications/Felon Voting/felon_voting_rights_by_state.pdf

dave33

If your state is anything like mine than your rights are automatically restored.
I don't know what your concern about jury duty is but if called you would just explain the criminal record and be excused. goodluck.

dave33

Wow, I didn't know it was possible. Here, I was thinking that it was a blanket thing that all felons are prohibited from ever again voting.
Not only are states changing their laws allowing felons to vote but some even allow felons to vote in jail.

davew128

Really? I thought it was well known that it was the general rule rather than the exception that felons got their voting rights back.

latigo

Such a shame that you've had to live with that albatross all these years.

Start below to learn how you might have the record expunged.

www.ehow.com/how_6769803_expunge-criminal

Also, a limited search seems to indicate that Minnesota, as do some other states, will allow you to vote once the sentencing is fulfilled. Check with a county clerk or voting registrar or the county attorney.

Good luck

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Really? I thought it was well known that it was the general rule rather than the exception that felons got their voting rights back.
That's not what was taught in the government schools so long ago. And not every state will restore those rights. :cool:

izzame2

If your state is anything like mine than your rights are automatically restored.
I don't know what your concern about jury duty is but if called you would just explain the criminal record and be excused. goodluck.

Thanks for all the replies they are greatly appreciated.Sorry dave33 I should have clarified about being called into jury duty.What I meant was, if I was called to jury duty was asked about my felony conviction.I was afraid that they would ask for some documentation from a court that shows that my voting rights were restored.In others I would have committed a crime by voting illegally,if I didn't have a document.

In regards to be being excused from jury duty by explaining a criminal record.It is my understanding from my research as long as you have completed all court appointed punishment for your felony you are still required to serve jury duty.I wish it were that simple to get out of jury duty.

Last edited:

Silverplum

That's not what was taught in the government schools so long ago.
Ssssssssss!! :eek: I feel the double-burn! :eek:

(government schools?? :confused:
SO LONG AGO?!?!?:eek:)

:p:cool:

TheGeekess said:
And not every state will restore those rights. :cool:
I had heard before that felons were receiving rights, and figured some states would and some would not. I never paid much attention.

I *do* come from A Generation that didn't much give a hoot about the rights of convicted felons. :cool:

Last edited:

Silverplum

Thanks for all the replies they are greatly appreciated.Sorry dave33 I should have clarified about being called into jury duty.What I meant was, if I was called to jury duty was asked about my felony conviction.I was afraid that they would ask for some documentation from a court that shows that my voting rights were restored.In others I would have committed a crime by voting illegally,if I didn't have a document.

In regards to be being excused from jury duty by explaining a criminal record.It is my understanding from my research as long as you have completed all court appointed punishment for your felony you are still required to serve jury duty.I wish it were that simple to get out of jury duty.
Let me trip over myself rushing to help you work out which, exactly, of your rights you'd enjoy the most!

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

FlyingRon

Hey, I'm sure one political party or the other thinks the felon vote is more advantageous to their candidates....

Nevada is embroiled in a big court battle now. The republicans feel that "none of the above" is an unfair option for their candidates to run against. I guess they feel NOBODY would be a better candidate than their guy.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Ssssssssss!! :eek: I feel the double-burn! :eek:

(government schools?? :confused:
SO LONG AGO?!?!?:eek:)

:p:cool:

I had heard before that felons were receiving rights, and figured some states would and some would not. I never paid much attention.

I *do* come from A Generation that didn't much give a hoot about the rights of convicted felons. :cool:
As opposed to 'private' or 'charter' schools. (Plus, I am an adherent to the Church of the Painful Truth, Neal Boortz, High Priest). :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">