• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to expunge.. or at least get started

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spayne21

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I am graduating in May of this year from college and have been looking for a job. I need to expunge my records to increase my chances.

Record:
Domestic violence 1998
Theft 5th degree 1998
Both simple misdemeanors

I have three short questions.
Where to start with no lawyer?
How much money?
How much time?

Thanks for any information!!!
Spayne21

A

ALLISHA

As far as I know most jobs will not look that far into your record unless you have felonys. It depends on what kind of a career path you have chosen. If you need to do this, you will need to call the court and they can give you information for free. Don't be afraid to ask questions. I am not from your state so I can't give you answers but I can tell you that the first step is to ask them. They can look up your record and tell you how much long you will need to wait until anything drops off your record or what you can do to take care of it.

L

lindasue45

Were you a juvenile when these things happened? I think the only records that can be expunged are juvenile and only if you have been out of trouble for (I think 5 yrs). I am from iowa and I called a lawyer and he did it all for me. I think it cost about $200

L

lindasue45

I forgot to add-it was well worth what I paid to get this off my record

S

spayne21

Thank you for that information! I am going on Monday to look into what I can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">