• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How long is a sentence for getting caught for the second time with a meth lab?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MatildaWhorl

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I am a social worker and have been hired by the parents of a 40 year old who has been arrested for running a meth lab. The parents decided he needs a social worker more than a lawyer. The father who hired her is a retired cop and apparently he thinks his son will be in jail for many years and he thinks he deserves it. My first counseling session is next week and I’m trying to figure out how to approach the guy, and how long he will be in jail is important. I am to counsel him psychologically, not legally.

I don’t know much about his first conviction, as I understand it he was sentenced to something like 5 years and his parents worked to get him out early on parole, only to have the guy go back into the meth business. There seems to be little hope that he will not be convicted or plead out this time, seems like he is stuck. Anyway how long is he likely to be in jail? Should I work on trying to keep the guy’s family together in anticipation of release and reunification in a few years or should I start preparing the guy to grow old and gray behind bars?

FlyingRon

Well he'll probably get more than 5 years this time. Further, since he violated his parole, he may have more time on the first conviction to serve as well.

Ozark_Sophist

It depends on the charge and the amount of meth. If it was production with intent to distribute, minimum sentence ranges from 10 years to 25 years (depends on amount). The fine ranges from $200,000 to $1,000,000.

(f) Any person who knowingly manufactures methamphetamine, amphetamine, or any mixture containing either methamphetamine or amphetamine, as described in Schedule II, in violation of this article commits the felony offense of trafficking methamphetamine or amphetamine and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished as follows:

(1) If the quantity of methamphetamine, amphetamine, or a mixture containing either substance involved is less than 200 grams, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of ten years and shall pay a fine of $200,000.00;

(2) If the quantity of methamphetamine, amphetamine, or a mixture containing either substance involved is 200 grams or more, but less than 400 grams, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 15 years and shall pay a fine of $300,000.00; and

(3) If the quantity of methamphetamine, amphetamine, or a mixture containing either substance involved is 400 grams or more, the person shall be sentenced to a mandatory minimum term of imprisonment of 25 years and shall pay a fine of $1 million.

MatildaWhorl

thanks

Yep, y’all were right, Thanks!

He thinks it will be at least 20 years.

He was a nice enough guy and seemed pretty rational given where he sat. After a good hour of friendly and cooperative talking we agreed that his parent’s money was probably wasted so I’ll send it back. Hard to imagine that a guy who seemed as rational and intelligent as he did is in the position he’s in, but he is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">