• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was aquitted by a jury -- Do I need a lawyer to expunge my record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmsfla

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was found not guilty by a jury on felony charges. I understand (from my lawyer) that I would need some sort of a court hearing to clear this from my record.

This attorney seems to be super busy -- or at least too busy for me right now. I would like to get this taken care of A.S.A.P.

My question is, can I do this myself, or do I need an attorney? Also, I would like to know how long this process normally takes as I am getting ready to begin job hunting, and I'm not sure about how I will need to answer the "criminal record" questions.

Thanks
KMS

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kmsfla said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

I was found not guilty by a jury on felony charges. I understand (from my lawyer) that I would need some sort of a court hearing to clear this from my record.

This attorney seems to be super busy -- or at least too busy for me right now. I would like to get this taken care of A.S.A.P.

My question is, can I do this myself, or do I need an attorney? Also, I would like to know how long this process normally takes as I am getting ready to begin job hunting, and I'm not sure about how I will need to answer the "criminal record" questions.

Thanks
KMS

My response:

There is a big difference between "acquittal" and "not guilty". Your attorney should have explained this to you. You were NOT acquitted of your crime(s) - - rather, because the State failed to meet it's burden of proof, the jury found you "not guilty". That's not to say you didn't, in fact, do the crime - - merely, that the evidence was somehow, and in some respect, lacking under the law to put your butt in prison.

Get a criminal attorney to expunge your record, but I really rather doubt you'll be successful because the jury DIDN'T come back with "innocent" (acquit). When a jury comes back "Not Guilty", you're going to have an uphill battle to expunge your record.

IAAL

stephenk

oh no, not that old argument about "not guilty" and "factually innocent".

where is that philosopher/economist from Maine that stalked his girlfriend when you need him?

757driver

Re: Re: I was aquitted by a jury -- Do I need a lawyer to expunge my record

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

There is a big difference between "acquittal" and "not guilty". Your attorney should have explained this to you. You were NOT acquitted of your crime(s) - - rather, because the State failed to meet it's burden of proof, the jury found you "not guilty". That's not to say you didn't, in fact, do the crime - - merely, that the evidence was somehow, and in some respect, lacking under the law to put your butt in prison.

_ _ _ _

OK, hot shot, what about expunging a case where there is NO jury, NO conviction, NO no contest and only a "not guilty" plea for a first-time misdemeanor charge with no priors. The charge was dropped, case dismissed by the Judge and the court bailiff handed out a sheet of paper referring to sealing of records?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">