• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm not sure if my record is clear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AutumnAngel

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I had a Theft 3 misdemeanor in 1995 when I was 18. I'm 27 now and have been clear ever since. I'm confused though about something. Originally, I was told that this would be on my record for 3 years (felonies are usually 7 years) am I right about this??

Anyway, the judge told me that if I was "good" for one year (Probation) then he would remove the charge off my record. Well, I was a good girl and I actually wrote him a letter to remind him. He wrote me back saying the record was removed or something like that. I shoulda kept the letter.

Anyway, I have filled out a few background checks since then and all have come out ok....I was able to get the job etc...BUT some people have told me that the ONLY way the record is gone is if it is expunged. So now I'm confused. I never filled out a form for expungement or whatever the process is.

Who can I call to find out what the heck is on my record, if anything?? I know I can go through the Washington State Patrol, but that can take up to 10 weeks plus it costs money. Any other ways to find out?

Thanks in advance,
Autumn

A

AutumnAngel

Well I did my own little research and I found out that it is still on my record BUT it says that it is dismissed. Now what? The lady said I need an attorney to get it expunged.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out, is I have this Jail Clearance form that I'm trying to fill out. I'm doing volunteer work and it asks me if I have ever been arrested. Since the record has been dismissed can I just say no? I was just given a citation and a court date...never cuffed or anything. uggghh. I'm confused.:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">