• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interstate Compact

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ptime54

If someone wants to serve their probation time to a different state, I was told they have to do an interstate compact. I was told that legally the state where the inmate is currently being held (WI) could not stop his request especially since;
1. The other state (MS) where he wants to serve his probation already agreed to take him in
2. That the inmate was born and raised in the other state where he wants to transfer
3. And that his family still lives there

I just want to confirm that legally there will not be any issues to do the transfer. If this is true, could you please let me know the actual legal document?

dave33

Of course the state you are on probation in can stop it. They usually do not if you are accepted into the other state. Getting the acceptance from the receiving state is almost always the hard part. Since you have been accepted this does not apply to you. The document you are looking for is the agreement you signed when you agreed to the terms of your probation. The laws of every state is differrent and would take some research to find the actual law. Completing your probation and being compliant with it's terms is most likely covered several different ways with the general criminal laws of your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">