• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury duty

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Heather2

What is the name of your state? Texas

This question is for anyone who understands deferred adjudication in Texas. Ok so I got charged with a felony and got deferred adjudication which means it is not a conviction. Today I got a jury summons and it askes "have you ever been convicted of a felony?". Well technically I wasn't but I'm not sure if it will show up as a conviction until I file for an order of non disclosure many years from now. Does anybody know if I should just send it in telling them I was convicted? I guess I could just show up on the day requested and ask but I didn't want to drive all the way up there for nothing. Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Heather2 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

This question is for anyone who understands deferred adjudication in Texas. Ok so I got charged with a felony and got deferred adjudication which means it is not a conviction. Today I got a jury summons and it askes "have you ever been convicted of a felony?". Well technically I wasn't but I'm not sure if it will show up as a conviction until I file for an order of non disclosure many years from now. Does anybody know if I should just send it in telling them I was convicted? I guess I could just show up on the day requested and ask but I didn't want to drive all the way up there for nothing. Thanks!
You could call them and ask...

Heather2

I had been calling them all morning but the number was always busy. But I finally found a working number and they told me that since I am still on probation I am disqualified. Once I'm done I will be eligible. Thanks guys.

pella51

Heather2 said:
Does anybody know if I should just send it in telling them I was convicted?
No. You were NOT convicted and checking the box would be lying.

Deferred adjudication is a plea in which you defer the final finding until you complete all the court orders (probation, fines, classes, etc.). If you successfully complete all of these then the charges are dismissed and your record will reflect this, but you will still have a record. This record will still be there even after you get an order of non-disclosure to govt entities and many other organizations (schools, child/elderly care facilities, etc.). In order to completely remove it you have to get it expunged and currently in Texas you are not able to do this for deferred adjudication, so write your state representatives and tell them to change the law.

Right now you have not been convicted and should not say you were. After you get your order of non-disclosure under the law it never happened, so if they ask if you have ever been arrested, you should say no (unless you have other arrests).

notusedtothis

Hey,

With a deferred in Texas you cannot sit on a jury. Call the courthouse and ask - but the deferred in Texas is considered a conviction for that and ownership of weapons. You can still vote but not sit on jury until after off probation and even then I am not sure.

Heather2

notusedtothis said:
Hey,

With a deferred in Texas you cannot sit on a jury. Call the courthouse and ask - but the deferred in Texas is considered a conviction for that and ownership of weapons. You can still vote but not sit on jury until after off probation and even then I am not sure.
I did call and ask and they told me that when I am done with probation I could be a juror.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">