• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Supervision

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

S. Pogue

What is the name of your state? Texas

My brother-in-law is in prison under a capital murder charge dated March 1983. He was just denied parole and set off for 3 years (up again in June 2006). Under Art. 42.12 Sec. 3f of the Parole Eligibility/Legislature in the State of Texas it states that the calendar time = 1/3; minimum of 2 yrs; maximum of 20 yrs.

My questions: Does that not mean that he should have received a favorable parole decision? Also, is it not true that Texas law reads he is to be brought up for parole every year?

Thank you for your help,
S. Pogue

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

S. Pogue said:

My brother-in-law is in prison under a capital murder charge dated March 1983. He was just denied parole and set off for 3 years (up again in June 2006). Under Art. 42.12 Sec. 3f of the Parole Eligibility/Legislature in the State of Texas it states that the calendar time = 1/3; minimum of 2 yrs; maximum of 20 yrs.

My questions: Does that not mean that he should have received a favorable parole decision? Also, is it not true that Texas law reads he is to be brought up for parole every year?

Thank you for your help,
S. Pogue

My response:

And, by your same reasoning, Charles Manson and his "girls" should be paroled too.

Bullsh*t.

You commit capital murder, you aren't entitled to be in society. He's lucky he didn't get a needle in both arms - - especially in Texas! He's lucky just to be alive.

But, as far as getting out, society doesn't want him out - - and thank goodness the parole board sees things our way.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My further response:

Besides, after 20 years, I firmly believe that letting him out would be cruel to him. Let's face it, the world and his environment that he once knew no longer exists. He's used to a regimented lifestyle in prison, and with freedom, that would no longer be there for him.

He'd find some way, commit some crime, that would land him back in prison anyway - - because he just wouldn't be able to "hack it."

IAAL

JETX

Though I agree completely with the statements made by IAAL, I offer the following:

"My brother-in-law is in prison under a capital murder charge dated March 1983."
** That tells us nothing other than the date that he was charged. What EXACTLY was his sentence?? When did the sentence start?? Did he get MULTIPLE sentences?? If so, were they ordered concurrent or consecutive??

"He was just denied parole and set off for 3 years (up again in June 2006). "
*** So far, so good.

"Under Art. 42.12 Sec. 3f of the Parole Eligibility/Legislature in the State of Texas it states that the calendar time = 1/3; minimum of 2 yrs; maximum of 20 yrs."
*** Are you sure you aren't referring to the "Texas Code of Criminal Procedure"??? If so, then you are misreading it. Simply, the parole board is under NO obligation to release the prisoner in any time less than that sentenced by the court. Additionally, the key to the referenced statute is 'COURT ordered community service'. I suggest you read the following:
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publications/parole/parole_in_tx/pit-eligrules.htm
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publications/parole/parole_in_tx/pit-par-man-sup.htm

"My questions: Does that not mean that he should have received a favorable parole decision?"
*** NO!!! There is NO obligation for the parole board to release him early.

"Also, is it not true that Texas law reads he is to be brought up for parole every year?"
*** No.

Remember: Parole is a privilege, not a right!!

C

condaggitt

S. Pogue said:

My brother-in-law is in prison under a capital murder charge dated March 1983.Thank you for your help,S. Pogue

Hi:

I agree with IAAL, spending your life in jail while the world passes you by is probably the worst punishment a person can recieve.

In 1983 only very rich kids could afford computers, Even the Atari and Commodore 64 were not cheap, compare to what your salary was.

There was no internet, no computers in cars, i dont even think they had feul injection back then.

So any possible skills he had are long out of date. Factory work is being shipped overseas. So what on earth could he do to make a legal honest living? If he had used his jail time to finish school, and they had job training programs, and maybe a job on the outside. Then maybe it would be worth letting them out after 20 years.

But just like in the movie "the shawshank redemption" one old timer was paroled after what 40 years, and couldnt function in society, so he hung himself. I belive that and commiting another crime to get back into jail happens more then people want to admit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">