• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Media access to sealed juvenile records?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annie_e

What is the name of your state? Colorado
Hi, my 14 year old son was recently arrested on class 2 felony charges and is being held in a correctional facility. A local girl took nude photos of herself and emailed them off to a number of boys including my son who then forwarded them on to other kids. It's a bit of a strange case due to the fact that she is actually older than all of the boys and took the photos of herself. Nonetheless sexual exploitatoin of a child charges are being pressed.
Due to the sensitive nature of the case the judge ordered his records sealed at his hearing last Tuesday. On Thursday our local paper was published and his name and the specific details of the case (but none of the names of the other children were mentioned) were on the front page and were provided to the press by the district attorney. Furthermore much of the info is inncorrect and portrays my son as a repeat criminal with charges that were never filed against him. It even says in the paper that the judge ordered his records sealed and mentions the DA by name as their source... Is this legal?
Thanks so much for your help. We live in a small rural communtiy and access to legal help and information is limited.
Have a great Friday. Annie

P

Pfaffing85690

The record was sealed....not the fact that he is being charged and will stand trial.

Unless an attorney in your area is willing to investigate the entire situational facts surrounding this incident, I doubt seriously if you have a case for anything.

He does have an attorney right?

A

annie_e

Thank you for your reply. The only available attorney here cannot meet with us until the end of next week...
I was under the assumption that the names of juveniles could not be published. In most articles regarding juvenile crime there is a statement to the effect of 'name is withheld due to being a minor' or something to that effect. It is up to the medias descretion?
Is it appropriate for the DA to have disclosed the specifics? Can the local newspaper continue to provide the details of the case as it goes on?
Thanks, Annie

TYRIS

annie_e said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
Hi, my 14 year old son was recently arrested on class 2 felony charges and is being held in a correctional facility. A local girl took nude photos of herself and emailed them off to a number of boys including my son who then forwarded them on to other kids. It's a bit of a strange case due to the fact that she is actually older than all of the boys and took the photos of herself. Nonetheless sexual exploitatoin of a child charges are being pressed.
Due to the sensitive nature of the case the judge ordered his records sealed at his hearing last Tuesday. On Thursday our local paper was published and his name and the specific details of the case (but none of the names of the other children were mentioned) were on the front page and were provided to the press by the district attorney. Furthermore much of the info is inncorrect and portrays my son as a repeat criminal with charges that were never filed against him. It even says in the paper that the judge ordered his records sealed and mentions the DA by name as their source... Is this legal?
Thanks so much for your help. We live in a small rural communtiy and access to legal help and information is limited.
Have a great Friday. Annie

-generally no, a juveniles name can not be placed in the news. it is not a criminal violation: however it could be a civil issue along with defamation of character.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">