• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MO Suspended Impostition of Sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

karnsm

I'm from Missouri.

Can anybody tell me what are the exact consequences and meaning of a Suspended Imposition of Sentence (SIS)?
My attorney is telling me that if probation is satisfactorily completed then the legal record is sealed and there is no conviction and therefore no entry on any criminal record. Is this true? I don't understand if this is true then how can probation be ordered? Please help...

M

mrsmouse2000

I am from Missouri, also. I am also on probation with SIS as well. I got 4 years probation, meaning I must spend 4 years meeting with the officers and doing whatever, after which I will have no felony conviction. My husband is in Algoa, in Jeff City, and will be released on July 5. He was convicted of the same crime, and got one year probation, but with 4 years backup. It was bull, more or less, but he was in prison while we did it. I have no sentence, per se, no set time, hanging over me. If I commit a crime, I may get as little as 1 day for it, or more probation. Depending. You will not have a felony record:A plus. However, being an angel for 1 year is a lot easier than for four years. Four years backup is a lot, and he will do it in addition to any other charge he gets if he violates. You are screwed any way you look at it. Lawyers always think they are giving you a great deal. Bargain and haggle. You do not have to accept what they offer up front. Get as little probation as possible. MISSOURI: Come on vacation, leave on probation. Our state motto.

D

dyslexhaze

an 'sis' is what it says. they are suspending sentencing you to give you the opportunity to show, through good behavior, with the probation department,(within a set amount of time) that you can be a law abiding citizen. If you fail to abide by the rules your sentence will be invoked and you will then become a convicted felon and loose all of your rights as a citizen. in addition you will begin your time of probation from the beginning, if you are fortunate enough to get probation. if you violate. if you maintain a clean record and walk down your probation at the end, all will be forgiven. You will retain your rights as a citizen and you will not have a felony conviction.
my advice is to keep your nose clean and stay away from the people who influence you to do the things that can get you violated for the four years. a felon has very little chance of getting a good paying job unless that person goes into self employment. a felon looses rights as a citizen. four year may seem like forever. if you find yourself tempted to violate just remember that is the rest of your life. four years won't seem as long by comparison. keep busy and the time will fly. keep the faith and hang in there.

monkeychild31

cant afford a freaking lawyer

Facing felony possession charges for marijuana in MO. i cant afford a lawyer because i lost my job over this crap. i should have a job by the time i have my first hearing, and i was told that i could ask for a continuance to save up more money to get a lawyer. what happens if the judge says no? its looking like an SIS is the best i am going to get, would a public defender be able to make that happen?

castaway109

Mo sis???

I was convicted of a lower level felony.....given 5 years probation with suspended imposition of sentence.....completed probation 2 months early because I had repaid all my fines and fees etc....That was in February...now I have been denied an apartment because I have a criminal record......if SIS basically closes the case and shows now conviction...how am I still being denied based on a criminal record?

sandyclaus

I was convicted of a lower level felony.....given 5 years probation with suspended imposition of sentence.....completed probation 2 months early because I had repaid all my fines and fees etc....That was in February...now I have been denied an apartment because I have a criminal record......if SIS basically closes the case and shows now conviction...how am I still being denied based on a criminal record?
If you had read the previous post, you would know that we frown upon necroposting (i.e., posting on a thread that is outlived its usefulness).

If you have a specific question, please create your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">