• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Crusade/Need Ideas!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bthompson39

What is the name of your state? North Carolina, incident, Maryland

My name is Bridget Thompson, I am forwarding a letter I have sent to everyone & anyone I can think of, please read & consider options;
I am writing today with the hopes that you may be able to provide me with some answers regarding the eligibility for services for an incarcerated friend in Hagerstown. I am aware that once someone exhausts their post conviction petition, options are minimal when it comes to reviewing a case for sentence reconsideration. As I am sure you are aware, once incarcerated, prisoners tend to become familiar with their rights and find what they deem injustices where there cases are concerned. I have been reviewing and collecting documents regarding the situation I write about today for many years now. I have come to the conclusion my friend’s chances for release may truly be a possibility, as all he needs is “a voice” to disclose his argument. The following is a short summary of my friend’s situation.
I am a full time student at Methodist College in Fayetteville, NC, majoring in Criminal Justice. I have a friend of almost twenty years who was convicted in 1996 on a first degree rape charge, in which he was sentenced to a flat sixty years. He filed a post conviction petition shortly after sentencing, in which he prepared himself, though representation was state provided, the assigned attorney failed to disclose the petitioner’s findings, therefore, the petition was denied. It was not until years later, however, that my friend began to realize he was not made aware of all his options pertaining to his case, in preparing for his original trial, which may very well have resulted in a different outcome.
My friend was assigned a public defender, who advised him to plead guilty. (I found this unusual, due to civil litigation, I would assume a plea of “no contest” would have deemed more appropriate). He was arrested in a halfway house without a warrant, and denied the right to an attorney throughout the interrogation process. This is all documented, as I have these documents in my possession. Furthermore, one sentence links the charge from second degree to first degree rape, as the “victim” claims my friend threatened her life. He adamantly denies this point. The phone company worked outside this woman’s house that day, and my friend was accused of cutting the phone line a technician severed. D & A evidence was inconclusive, the “victim” was unable to pick my friend out of a photo line up, (she stated the perpetrator was about 20, a blonde male, my friend, at the time, was a 40 year old brown haired man), and inconsistency is displayed in sentencing as well, though his sentence fell within the state’s guidelines, the average sentence for such a charge was 305 months during that time, and my friend received 720 months. Did I mention the judge knew the family of the victim, yet heard the case, anyway?
I have access to law manuals at school, but most of the information obtainable through these books relate to North Carolina. Maryland is one of the few states in which information is not available via internet.
My friend and I have been writing letters for years, and it seems no one is interested in helping him due to his current status of incarceration. If sixty years flat time requires thirty years time served in the state of Maryland, my forty seven year old friend will surely die in prison.
It is my understanding, due to overcrowding, new programs have been enacted as alternatives leading toward rehabilitation and release from confinement. I have been unable to locate any programs for which my friend may be a candidate. I am also interested in finding out what constitutes a new trial, (via new evidence), as well as sentence reconsideration, post conviction representation and anything else in which may help my friend in his (our) quest to reveal the truth, and relieve the suffering of his aging parents and troubled children, and my friend as well.
In sum, my concern is not only my friend’s unlawful arrest and conviction of first degree rape, denial of the right to an attorney, inconclusive D&A, inadequate representation, as well as unjust sentencing, rather his children are the other victims in this, and his twenty year old son needs him more than you could know.
I have known this man almost twenty years. I have continued to write him since he was originally arrested and held in the Carroll County jail. I believe in him, and trust his word. He has absolutely no reason in the world to lie to me, as I am his only hope at this point.
My friend has been arrested and served minimal time for charges such as driving while intoxicated and driving while revoked, and what he really needs is treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. He has suffered for his actions, is overwhelmingly remorseful for the part he did play in this situation, and I am confident this particular individual’s incarceration has indeed deterred any further instances of criminal behavior, including the use of illicit drugs as well as the consumption of alcohol.
I have exhausted my resources. I have written to over one hundred attorneys in the state of Maryland. I have been given many suggestions as to which direction to go, and contacting your office was one of them. No one is willing to pro bono such a case, and I am hardly in a position to finance representation, though I do act as my friend’s voice in a quest for justice. I am begging your consideration in checking into this situation, as your office is truly our last hope. I feel God has not sent me on this long term quest to fail my friend. We find ourselves representing this field seeking justice, then turning our backs on those who suffer most, in turn, promoting injustices within the United States court system. I have diligently fought to be heard, and am becoming increasingly aware of the importance of monetary gain rather than truth and justice being the overall quest of private attorneys. I beg a response, as it would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from you. I thank you, in advance, for your time, and consideration.

Most Sincerely,

Bridget J. Thompson

HomeGuru

bthompson39 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina, incident, Maryland

My name is Bridget Thompson, I am forwarding a letter I have sent to everyone & anyone I can think of, please read & consider options;
I am writing today with the hopes that you may be able to provide me with some answers regarding the eligibility for services for an incarcerated friend in Hagerstown. I am aware that once someone exhausts their post conviction petition, options are minimal when it comes to reviewing a case for sentence reconsideration. As I am sure you are aware, once incarcerated, prisoners tend to become familiar with their rights and find what they deem injustices where there cases are concerned. I have been reviewing and collecting documents regarding the situation I write about today for many years now. I have come to the conclusion my friend’s chances for release may truly be a possibility, as all he needs is “a voice” to disclose his argument. The following is a short summary of my friend’s situation.
I am a full time student at Methodist College in Fayetteville, NC, majoring in Criminal Justice. I have a friend of almost twenty years who was convicted in 1996 on a first degree rape charge, in which he was sentenced to a flat sixty years. He filed a post conviction petition shortly after sentencing, in which he prepared himself, though representation was state provided, the assigned attorney failed to disclose the petitioner’s findings, therefore, the petition was denied. It was not until years later, however, that my friend began to realize he was not made aware of all his options pertaining to his case, in preparing for his original trial, which may very well have resulted in a different outcome.
My friend was assigned a public defender, who advised him to plead guilty. (I found this unusual, due to civil litigation, I would assume a plea of “no contest” would have deemed more appropriate). He was arrested in a halfway house without a warrant, and denied the right to an attorney throughout the interrogation process. This is all documented, as I have these documents in my possession. Furthermore, one sentence links the charge from second degree to first degree rape, as the “victim” claims my friend threatened her life. He adamantly denies this point. The phone company worked outside this woman’s house that day, and my friend was accused of cutting the phone line a technician severed. D & A evidence was inconclusive, the “victim” was unable to pick my friend out of a photo line up, (she stated the perpetrator was about 20, a blonde male, my friend, at the time, was a 40 year old brown haired man), and inconsistency is displayed in sentencing as well, though his sentence fell within the state’s guidelines, the average sentence for such a charge was 305 months during that time, and my friend received 720 months. Did I mention the judge knew the family of the victim, yet heard the case, anyway?
I have access to law manuals at school, but most of the information obtainable through these books relate to North Carolina. Maryland is one of the few states in which information is not available via internet.
My friend and I have been writing letters for years, and it seems no one is interested in helping him due to his current status of incarceration. If sixty years flat time requires thirty years time served in the state of Maryland, my forty seven year old friend will surely die in prison.
It is my understanding, due to overcrowding, new programs have been enacted as alternatives leading toward rehabilitation and release from confinement. I have been unable to locate any programs for which my friend may be a candidate. I am also interested in finding out what constitutes a new trial, (via new evidence), as well as sentence reconsideration, post conviction representation and anything else in which may help my friend in his (our) quest to reveal the truth, and relieve the suffering of his aging parents and troubled children, and my friend as well.
In sum, my concern is not only my friend’s unlawful arrest and conviction of first degree rape, denial of the right to an attorney, inconclusive D&A, inadequate representation, as well as unjust sentencing, rather his children are the other victims in this, and his twenty year old son needs him more than you could know.
I have known this man almost twenty years. I have continued to write him since he was originally arrested and held in the Carroll County jail. I believe in him, and trust his word. He has absolutely no reason in the world to lie to me, as I am his only hope at this point.
My friend has been arrested and served minimal time for charges such as driving while intoxicated and driving while revoked, and what he really needs is treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. He has suffered for his actions, is overwhelmingly remorseful for the part he did play in this situation, and I am confident this particular individual’s incarceration has indeed deterred any further instances of criminal behavior, including the use of illicit drugs as well as the consumption of alcohol.
I have exhausted my resources. I have written to over one hundred attorneys in the state of Maryland. I have been given many suggestions as to which direction to go, and contacting your office was one of them. No one is willing to pro bono such a case, and I am hardly in a position to finance representation, though I do act as my friend’s voice in a quest for justice. I am begging your consideration in checking into this situation, as your office is truly our last hope. I feel God has not sent me on this long term quest to fail my friend. We find ourselves representing this field seeking justice, then turning our backs on those who suffer most, in turn, promoting injustices within the United States court system. I have diligently fought to be heard, and am becoming increasingly aware of the importance of monetary gain rather than truth and justice being the overall quest of private attorneys. I beg a response, as it would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing from you. I thank you, in advance, for your time, and consideration.

Most Sincerely,

Bridget J. Thompson
**A: thank you. Not interested.

Son of Slam

bthompson39 said:
I have a friend who was convicted in 1996 on a first degree rape charge, in which he was sentenced to a flat sixty years.
He was arrested in a halfway house... the “victim” claims my friend threatened her life. no one is interested in helping him ... my forty seven year old friend will surely die in prison.
I am his only hope at this point.
My friend has been arrested and served minimal time for charges such as driving while intoxicated and driving while revoked, and what he really needs is treatment for drug and alcohol abuse. He has suffered for his actions, is overwhelmingly remorseful for the part he did play in this situation,
I have exhausted my resources. I have written to over one hundred attorneys in the state of Maryland....your office is truly our last hope.
Bridget J. Thompson
:eek:

stephenk

Hmm, at no point in your post do you mention that your friend denies raping the woman. all you point out are inconsistencies in the evidence.

(He) is overwhelmingly remorseful for the part he did play in this situation...

that line says more than everything else you posted.

B

bthompson39

he was in a relationship with her, she claims he was a stranger, his friends knew her....she was not.....she was married. He was drinking, she tried to break it off, he had sex with her, he claims she performed oral sex on him...............I'd have bit him..........she drank a beer with him also.....no evidence of trauma via hospital reports, she knew him but did not pick him out of a photo id, maybe because she knew how much trouble he was in? I don't know. Anyway, that's the story. :) Thank u for response.

stephenk

In any event, your friend doesnt have legal grounds for an appeal. Just because you disagree with the jury verdict doesnt mean a legal error happened that would reverse the verdict.

If the above "facts" were presented at the trial, the jury obviously found those "facts" not credible and convicted your friend based on the evidence they found credible.

B

bthompson39

Jury?

No jury. As the statement reads, he took a plea at the advice of public defense, whom, by the way, has been disbarred for not communicating with a client in a custody case for 21 months, thus he lost the kid, she had no contact with my friend as he remained in a county jail, he did not meet her once prior to trial. He called me tonight. HE HEARD FROM COLLARREAL REVIEW, which, he says is "unheard of" (I wrote them) I have also hired an attorney since the origional writing. Collateral review wants copies of everything.....:D

B

bthompson39

PS

You must have read the thread too fast.....the facts were never presented, "it wasn't until years later...."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">