• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nolle Prosequi and Expungement in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angie0502

What is the name of your state (Maryland)?

I am currently going back to school for nursing and later on to behavorial science for a masters. March of 2008 I was charged with theft over 500$. My ex boyfriend filed these charges after we split up. I was never convicted and the case was found Nolle Prosequi. Now that I am trying to get financial aid and be able to work in my field I'm a little worried about this charge that still shows up on my record. Maryland Judiciary Case Search

I have been told I can have this expunged from my record BUT it may be denied by the judge, police agency, ect. I do not understand why this would be denied if I was never convicted and the charges were total bs. I have not applied for expungement because I am afraid that in doing so it may start this all over again. I do not want to risk possibly being charged with this again since I have also heard that Nolle Prosequi charges can be picked up again at any given time. The complainant in this case wrote letters to the states attorney stating that he would not testify against me after he had filed. About 2 months later I found out that he had called and said he wanted to again. So, proceedings went on. The complainant then stated again that he would not testify against me. The charges then were coded as Nolle Prosequi and that's the last I heard of it. A part of me wants to file for expungement but on the other hand I'm worried that he will be contacted and decide that he wants to try to make my life a living hell again. Or that the states attorney will decide that he himself would like to stir this up again. I was never given a formal reason as to why this was found to be Nolle Prosequi so I'm not sure if it was because there was no evidence other then word of mouth or because of my ex stating that he would not testify. What are the chances of getting this expunged? And will the court, police agency, ect contact my ex about this? I do not want him to know where I'm living or have any means to contact me for any reason. Any information would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">