• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nolle Prosequi in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mousegal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

During a pretrial hearing of a Maryland criminal assault case, the disposition of the case was classified as NOLLE PROSEQUI and a future trial date was set. I thought nolle prosequi meant that charges would no longer be pursued, so why was a trial date set?

JETX

During a pretrial hearing of a Maryland criminal assault case, the disposition of the case was classified as NOLLE PROSEQUI and a future trial date was set. I thought nolle prosequi meant that charges would no longer be pursued, so why was a trial date set?
Assuming your attorney knows ALL the facts and not just a biased portion... what did your attorney say when you asked him??

Awww, I feel kind today... the simple fact that the prosecutor has decided "not to pursue" does not mean that the charges are dropped. The court has to hear (adjudicate) the application for nolle prosequi, thus finding the defendant not guilty of all charges.

mousegal

NOLLE PROSEQUI in Maryland

Thanks so much for your response. I'm not the defendant, so I don't know what the lawyer said. I belivethe injured party agreed to drop the charges, but I don't know if that means the prosecuter will agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">