• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

outstanding lawyer fee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prosado

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was paying my boyfriends lawyer fees as he was in custody, my boyfriend and myself were not to satisfied with this lawyer but the case was almost through. My boyfriend pleaded guilty for the case and has been sent to the penitentiary. The lawyer has been calling me asking for a $500 balance which I was not aware of as my boyfriend is the one who spoke to him about money. The lawyer has threatened as he says "to make a motion to bring the case back up that my boyfriend and myself would not be happy with". I might add that there was from the begining nothing put in writing as to what we would pay him and I also don't have any documents saying I paid him anything. Am I obligated to pay him this $500, and can he do what he is saying he can do about bringing this case back up. I might also say that it's not that I don't want to pay him but we were not satisfied with his work as he would not show up to court or would send someone on his behalf who would also not show up. Any responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

calatty

Did you tell him at the time that you were not satisfied? Did you arrange a disposition in the case that was better than if your boyfriend had gotten convicted of the crimes he was charged with? Was your boyfriend harmed in some way by the attorney not showing up or sending someone else? You have no legal ground for refusing to pay him.

P

prosado

outstanding lawyer fees

No, we did not express that we unhappy with his services which was our fault. The only harm that affected my boyfriend was sitting in the county jail for longer than he should of. The outcome of the case if going to trial would probably been worse of than him pleaing out of court. Thank you for your responses. I am still unsure if I am obligated to pay the remaining balance the lawyer says is owed to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">