• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pardon and Law School?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mssales

What is the name of your state? IN

I'll be convicted of a felonious crime soon. I was wondering that if one completes there probabtion successfully, finsihes their college education etc.. all that things that make for a strong pardon application. And subsequently is granted a pardon. Can one still become a lawyer?

I was under the impression that a pardon differs from an expungement in the a pardon totally absolves you from all guilt, essentially wipping the slate clean. But after careful observation it seems that only restores certain rights, and may sometimes automatically seal your convcitions arrest, but certain agencies still have access to it. Is the latter true?

This gives me hope that it's possible check out the following link. My crime isn't nearly as bad as his.

http://www.in.gov/gov/media/eo/EO_05-39.pdf

Last edited:

fairisfair

pardons are granted on a case by case basis. No one can guess if your request would be granted, or even considered.

mjr244

Pardons are extremely rare. An expunction would be a better bet. You might even want to see if your attorney can lobby for the charge to be erased from your record if you successfully complete probation....however I am not sure if that is an option the DA will consider for a felony.

seniorjudge

What is the crime?

If it's drunk driving, they will probably admit you to the bar (pun intended) and give you a gold badge.

If it's embezzlement, you may not get into the society of lawyers.

The state bar will give you some guidance before you even start law school. Talk to the folks there.

fairisfair

But in the event you are granted a pardon, could you get admitted to the bar?
I would assume that you could. but call these people and be sure

Indiana State Bar Association
One Indiana Square
Suite 530
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Voice: (317) 639-5465
Toll Free: (800) 266-2581

Facsimile: (317) 266-2588

mssales

Pardons are extremely rare. An expunction would be a better bet. You might even want to see if your attorney can lobby for the charge to be erased from your record if you successfully complete probation....however I am not sure if that is an option the DA will consider for a felony.
According to the Indiana Pardon's Board website, 35% of applicants are granted a pardon, of course, that number is misleading because you can't distingush between the magintude of the crimes of the granted parties, but still, it's not something that you would qualify as impossible, or even extremely rare. This is of course, unless there is some "special" criterion for applying for a pardon.

http://www.sentencingproject.org/tmp/File/Collateral Consequences/Indiana.pdf

Last edited:

mjr244

And I would bet 34% of those pardoned were misdemeanors or very minor violations. I had a similar question before I went to law school as I had a minor incident when I was 17. I was told pardons are quite rare and to go for the expungement, which I did and was able to get from the court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I would assume that you could. but call these people and be sure

Indiana State Bar Association
One Indiana Square
Suite 530
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Voice: (317) 639-5465
Toll Free: (800) 266-2581

Facsimile: (317) 266-2588
That is assuming OP wants to apply for the bar in Indiana and not another state.

The board will be the one to make the decision regardless if it is expunged or pardoned off your record. You will have to disclose it to the law board and hope for the best. I know several lawyers with convictions ranging from drugs to violent assualts. If it is completed and you are off probation that will help. Also, Felony convictions are harder to sway and thus will require more examination by the board, but it will look better for you if you have it expunged or removed from your record before you ask for a law license.

mssales

And I would bet 34% of those pardoned were misdemeanors or very minor violations. I had a similar question before I went to law school as I had a minor incident when I was 17. I was told pardons are quite rare and to go for the expungement, which I did and was able to get from the court.

I know pardons are rare , but thats the only way you can get an expungement in Indiana. So it's either a pardon or bust.

Last edited:

mssales

found this on the answer.com website:

"In regard to the effect of criminal conduct upon the evaluation of an applicant's character, a conviction for the commission of a felony is not, per se, sufficient to demonstrate a lack of good moral character. It will be incumbent upon the applicant, however, to prove complete rehabilitation. Although a conditional pardon is insufficient to remove objections to bar admission, a felony conviction will not prevent an applicant from practicing law if he or she has received a full pardon and is otherwise qualified."

Guess that answers my question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does anybody else find it strange that the guy hasn't even been CONVICTED of a felony yet, but he is already planning on the pardon? I am saddened that pardons are so easy to come by for felons :(

AlanShore

Most people who are convicted of a felony are unable to practice law. Regardless of what answers.com says, if you have a felony conviction most if not all bars will turn you down. Not to mention most law schools won't want you either.

mssales

Most people who are convicted of a felony are unable to practice law. Regardless of what answers.com says, if you have a felony conviction most if not all bars will turn you down. Not to mention most law schools won't want you either.
http://www.ncbex.org/uploads/user_docrepos/2007CompGuide_02.pdf

ABA says something different. Only a few states(Indiana included) automatically disqualify you because of a felony conviction. Good thing I look things up myself. Because nothing is ever as black and white as people make them seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">