• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole allowed to leave country?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Parole

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I wanted to know if a parole is allowed to leave the country to go on vacation? I planned a trip to Europe for 2 weeks and called my PO to get a pass and he said that parole's were not entitled to leave the country. I don't know if that is true or if he just doesn't want to take the time to find out or fill out the paperwork. Any help or referrence would be appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Parole said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I wanted to know if a parole is allowed to leave the country to go on vacation? I planned a trip to Europe for 2 weeks and called my PO to get a pass and he said that parole's were not entitled to leave the country. I don't know if that is true or if he just doesn't want to take the time to find out or fill out the paperwork. Any help or referrence would be appreciated.

My response:

And your Parole Officer hasn't confiscated your Passport?

Pal, the only reason why you're not in prison is because of a shortage of space. Parole doesn't mean you're a "free citizen". You're still in a prison, of sorts - - a "prison" of lack of freedom, and you're not going anywhere.

IAAL

P

Parole

I agree with you but that still doesn't answer my question. Is it against CA law for me to leave or is it up to the discretion of my PO?

CdwJava

I can guarantee that if you leave the country without the written permission of your parole agent that a PAL warrant will be issued for your arrest upon your return. Parolees are not even supposed to venture 50 miles from their place of parole ... I think that leaving the country kinda violates this rule.

Carl

CdwJava

Parole said:
I agree with you but that still doesn't answer my question. Is it against CA law for me to leave or is it up to the discretion of my PO?
Without the permission of your PO it IS against the law. You will be in violation of your parole. As to his discretion in the matter, I do not think he has any ... I believe exceptions can be made in the case of a family death or other emergency, but otherwise, you ain't gonna get the permission.

On the otherhand, you could always weight the time you have left to serve and decide if two weeks in ....wherever ... is worth a few years in prison.

Carl

Last edited:
P

Parole

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear with my question. I am aware that I may not go beyond 50 miles without permission. What I want to know is if I can fight this and still be allowed to go. Can I go over my PO's head or can I write a committee. If it is not legal for a person on parole to leave the country then I don't have any course of action. I would like to know if there is a specific law that states that I can't leave country. I have been able to leave the state several times on passes so I am curious if there is a different set of rules when it comes to leaving the country.

JETX

Since you seem unable to comprehend this very simple issue, let me make it very clear for you.

"What I want to know is if I can fight this and still be allowed to go."
*** Yes, you can 'fight' it. No, you won't win. No, you can't go.

"Can I go over my PO's head or can I write a committee."
*** Of course you can. You can write the court, the governor, the president, even ScaryJohnKerry. And they can simply ignore your 'writings' (likely) or the court can decide that the PRIVILEDGE of putting you on parole was not warranted.... and put you in prison.

"If it is not legal for a person on parole to leave the country then I don't have any course of action."
*** Oh yes you do. You can write your letters as you suggested. They won't change anything, but you might feel better.

"I would like to know if there is a specific law that states that I can't leave country. I have been able to leave the state several times on passes so I am curious if there is a different set of rules when it comes to leaving the country."
*** Yep. The 'law' is your parole agreement. If you do ANYTHING in violation of the terms that you agreed to, your PO (or court) can simply decide to revoke the PRIVILEDGE of your parole..... and put you in prison to complete your sentence.

Got it now??
Pretty simple, huh???

CdwJava

I am not positive, but I believe that leaving the country requires a very specific set of circumstances. I would suggest you coontact the CA Board of Corrections in Sacramento and see what they have to say on the matter. But I am pretty sure that the PO has no discretion on your leaving the country. And if he did, it is still likely his call - but that might be appealable to his boss ... but would that be wise?

Carl

HomeGuru

Hey thanks JETX. Isn't there the parole evidence rule that states that if you are on parole and leave the country, and they find evidence that you left, you can never return to the US?

P

Parole

Look I am not out to break any laws. I am not about to break parole for a vacation. I was inquiring about legal ways that might help me. I just wanted to know if there was an actual law that supported my PO's statement. He has made statements before in the past that I have found to be unsubstantiated and I have called him on it. I don't want to piss him off either but if there were a chance that I could obtain permission from some one else within the Parole Department then I thought I would at least try. Thanks Carl for the suggestion of contacting CA Board of Corrections in Sacramento.

CdwJava

As an FYI - because I am curious - I asked our local Parole Agent about your plight, and his answer was an unequivocal, "No!" You cannot leave the country.

The reason you can leave the state is that they have compacts with th other states concerning your status and their ability to come and get you - and even monitor you - while you are in those states. There are no such compacts with other countries.

Therefore, it is NOT possible for you to leave the country while on Parole as a matter of law.

Sorry.

Carl

JETX

RC, you need to remove your links to outside 'vendors'. If you don't, we'll get them removed for you, okay??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">