• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole Board

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRN2005

What is the name of your state?Co
Is it possible to request a parole hearing prior to the next scheduled hearing?
Would it do any good to send information on the inmate to show them that he has been incarcerated in excess of what his actual actions would justify. He was eligible for parole before he ever actually arrived at the Department of Corrections (county time, good time, education credits, and halfway house time). He went in front of the parole board in July and was denied supposedly because they did not feel he had been there long enough to deserve parole consideration yet. He was then set out for another 9 months for his next parole hearing. He has never been in any trouble (not so much as a verbal reprimand) since he has been there. Even if he is paroled at his next hearing date, he will not be released for a couple more months. All in all, he will end up doing day for day time, when in reality he could have and should have been paroled after doing 1/2 of his time (total time sentenced was 3 years). Does anyone know if there is anything we can do to expidite his release? His daughter's mother is trying to take away his rights and he needs to get out in order to fight for rights to his daughter. He is a good daddy and loves his daughter dearly.

BRN2005 said:
Would it do any good to send information on the inmate to show them that he has been incarcerated in excess of what his actual actions would justify. He was eligible for parole before he ever actually arrived at the Department of Corrections (county time, good time, education credits, and halfway house time). He went in front of the parole board in July and was denied supposedly because they did not feel he had been there long enough to deserve parole consideration yet. He was then set out for another 9 months for his next parole hearing. He has never been in any trouble (not so much as a verbal reprimand) since he has been there. Even if he is paroled at his next hearing date, he will not be released for a couple more months. All in all, he will end up doing day for day time, when in reality he could have and should have been paroled after doing 1/2 of his time (total time sentenced was 3 years). Does anyone know if there is anything we can do to expidite his release? His daughter's mother is trying to take away his rights and he needs to get out in order to fight for rights to his daughter. He is a good daddy and loves his daughter dearly.

What were the EXACT crime(s) that he was convicted of in this matter?

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

BRN2005 said:
These are things he should have thought about before comitting a crime. You fired his attorney, you were given advice re this on 11-17-5. You do realize a class 5 felony is a more serious offense than class 6 which has a 1 year minimum. There is no way he can arrive at the prison and be ready for parole, there is no history even though there may be time served. What was the crime, that may have more to do with mom trying to TPR.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=291473
BRN2005 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
I have a son in prison in Colorado. He was given the maximum sentence for his conviction (class 5 felony - 3 years). He was also told that he would have a 2 year period of parole. During his court cases, the attorney he had mentioned that this was not legal. I do not still employ the attorney, as I spent all I could already, but what was explained to my son and I was that if the maximum sentence for his conviction was 3 years, that period was to include the period of parole. The logic behind this is that, if you have served the full 3 years, they cannot add 2 years parole bacause that ultimately makes your sentence 5 years, rather than the maximum of 3. If you are on parole and violate, you are usually sent back to complete the term (ie. if you are released after only 2 years and violate, you would go back for the remaining year). Therefore, if the maximum sentence for that type of crime is 3 years and you serve 3 years before you are released on parole, they have no remaining time they can send you back for, should you violate parole. Did all of that make sense? What does anyone know about that?
You were referred to this site which explained the reasons for why the sentence could be as little as 1 year or up to 1 year more than the max 3 year sentence. Presumptive Minimum vs Presumptive Maximum 3 yrs prison
(4 yrs prison * if "extraordinary risk crime".) as explained before, class 5 is not the lowest level 6 which has a 1 year minimum, so it is unlikely that he would be paroled in less time than someone with a lesser offense. http://www.colorado-criminal-defens...o_sentences.htm

Now if your igoal is the best interest of your grandchild then I suggest you make sure they are receiving child support payments while your son is in prison if you want to help him maintain his parental rights.

BRN2005

"suck..."
His conviction was for possession of a controlled substance- schedule II.

"rmet..."
That is about the most jacked up sorry excuse for an answer as I have ever heard. Yes, he should have thought about it before he did it, but so should every person who has ever been in trouble. That does not address my question in any way, shape, or form. My question was about requesting a hearing.
Also, I never "fired" his attorney. I just can't afford to pay any more. I have already paid more than I could afford, that is why I came to this sight, not to have some jack-ass attack me.
You do not know what you are talking about. He DID have enough credit for time served to be eligible for parole in Colorado (this was per the Colorado Department of Corrections, who obviously would know more about this situation than you). He had over 450 days credit for time served. He was actually eligible for parole June 8. He arrived there June 9.
Lastly, my grandchild is okay and child support is not my responsibility. It has nothing to do with this particular situation anyway. She wants to have her live in boyfriend become the "father".

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

BRN2005 said:
"suck..."

"rmet..."
That is about the most jacked up sorry excuse for an answer as I have ever heard. Yes, he should have thought about it before he did it, but so should every person who has ever been in trouble. That does not address my question in any way, shape, or form. My question was about requesting a hearing.
Also, I never "fired" his attorney. I just can't afford to pay any more. I have already paid more than I could afford, that is why I came to this sight, not to have some jack-ass attack me.
Third, my grandchild is okay and child support is not my responsibility. It has nothing to do with this particular situation anyway. She wants to have her live in boyfriend become the "father".
You came here today after your question was answered last month.

Your excuse today was your son's relationship with his child, as being the rationionalization for the early release or parole, but apparently the best interest of the child is not your concern as a grandparent. Child support may not be your resonsibility, but it is your son's responsibility, especially if he doesn't want to TPR. However the child's mother and boyfriend will have to be married approx 1 year before he can adopt if there is TPR but you son will still owe arrearages unless there was a modification to the support agreement.

BRN2005 said:
"suck..."

"rmet..."
Third, my grandchild is okay and child support is not my responsibility. It has nothing to do with this particular situation anyway. She wants to have her live in boyfriend become the "father".
If you are vague in your questions then you can get vague answers especially around here.

you did not discuss priors.. since you did not reference them then I will respond as if he has none. You could request an early hearing if you wish, but I would strongly recommend you come up with the money for the attorney. The parole board does not care about his individual situation in fact he is just a number to them. It is highly unlikely that they will grant parole the first time around. This is where an attorney earns their money. See if you can work out a payment system or some means to pay the fees.

BRN2005

Redemption Man,
Thank You for your answer. That is what I was asking. I did not know if you could request a hearing or if you just had to wait it out. He has already come up before the parole board once. That was in July, so the next would be his second time. He was actually told in July that his second chance would be 6 months out, but has recently been told that it was sceduled for 9 months rather than 6. Is there a standard time frame or is this arbitrary?
As far as priors, this is the first time he has been charged on any major crimes. It was actually 2 offenses which trailed one another and the sentences are running concurrent.
I also had been told that an attorney could not do anything once you were in DOC, but apparently I was misinformed about that. I guess I will take your advice and check into that.

BRN2005 said:
Redemption Man,
Thank You for your answer. That is what I was asking. I did not know if you could request a hearing or if you just had to wait it out. He has already come up before the parole board once. That was in July, so the next would be his second time. He was actually told in July that his second chance would be 6 months out, but has recently been told that it was sceduled for 9 months rather than 6. Is there a standard time frame or is this arbitrary?
As far as priors, this is the first time he has been charged on any major crimes. It was actually 2 offenses which trailed one another and the sentences are running concurrent.
I also had been told that an attorney could not do anything once you were in DOC, but apparently I was misinformed about that. I guess I will take your advice and check into that.
It will be better on him the second time around. Most are scheduled at 6 month intervals but it could be any number of things for them to schedule it then. Attorneys vary and each have their own amounts of political influence and power. The more money you spend usually equates to the amount of legal representation that you recieve... good luck with it.... :)

rmet4nzkx

BRN2005 said:
Redemption Man,
While Redemption Man has given you the answer you wanted, doesn't change the fact that you left out facts required for an answer and why your son didn't get parole as soon as he hoped.

You continue to state that this is the first time your son was charged with serious offences, that is incorrect. Your son has been CONVICTED of a felony a crime which affected many other persons including yourself because you have paid at least some of the cost of his attorney. To get sympathy, you have informed us that your grandchild may have a severed relationship with their father, the convict, but that you bear no reaponsibility for that child's best welfare.

Since your son is serving 2 concurrent sentences, that will also impact how his sentence is carried out, it doesn't make the second charge or consequences go away other than for the initial sentence, so you and he should fully expect to serve his entire sentence and not to get any shortened sentence even if he has a stellar record as a prisoner. For that reason and the fact that you have had your question answered repeatedly and had access to counsel makes your continued rant quite unnecessary and inappropriate for you to continue to harass me off line.
Private Message: Parole Board

Parole Board
I did not come here for an answer to a question that was answered last month and you still didn't answer it. What I asked aabout was requesting a parole hearing prior to the scheduled date.
You are an ass and I don't appreciate your so-called help. Please do me a favor and don't "help" me any more. I have all the problems I need without someone like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">