• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole Laws Per State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

parolequestions

What is the name of your state? tennessee
i have a brother that is due for parole in december 2004. he is in prison in texas. my mother and father are trying to get his parole location assigned to knoxville, tennessee. so that he could go live with my mother and work for my father's business. knoxville has refused to accept him. the prison wants to parole him where he was arrested, phoenix, arizona. we feel he will not survive well somewhere alone, he has no friends or family in arizona. is there a place on the internet to research prisoners rights regarding parole?

calatty

I don't know about Tennessee in particular, but California and other states have the same rule, that a parolee is paroled to the county of commitment. It is extremely difficult to get a transfer to another county or state, because, as happened in your brother's case, counties are reluctant to accept parolees from other counties or states because they don't have to and they feel they have enough parolees of their own. States have an administrative appeals process through which parolees can appeal the decision to higher ups, but those appeals are rarely successful. Some criticize the rule as setting parolees up for failure by returning them to where they got in trouble. On the other hand, it prevents states from dumping parolees on certain counties and states and not others. Practically speaking, if your brother is ready to make changes in his life, he will do so whether or not his family is present. He should take advantage of any resources the parole authorities may provide to help parolees, like job referrals, housing vouchers, and drug program placement.

P

Pfaffing85690

knoxville has refused to accept him.
And since you failed to advise us of the charges he was found guilty of I can only assume I know why Knoxville has refused him.

But please come back and inform us.

P

Pfaffing85690

Well? Don't feel it's important?

I do and I'll continue bumping this post up until you answer.

P

parolequestions

Thank you for the information

to: calatty
thank you for responding, and giving me the information you did. I appreciate it. I agree with your opinion that if someone wants to turn their life around, it is up to them, and they can do it regardless. We are just trying to see how we can help him.

to: Pfaffing85690
my brother is in trouble and was refused parole in knoxville, because he has a serious drug problem, and mental problems. we are trying to find either a long-term treatment program for him, or some kind of half-way house near my mother, because she is a nurse that has worked in treatment programs. We prefer the treatment programs, but are finding it hard to find one in Tennessee. I can imagine very well that most parole locations would not want more problems, I might feel the same in their shoes, but I (as his sister) feel compelled to try to help him in any way I can.

Again, to both of you - I thank you for your responses, thank you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">