• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parole Violations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rob

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

Hello , I have a question. My nephew was convicted of a crime 5 years ago ( forced to take a plea bargin because his court appointed lawyer said it would be best , even though he didnt commit the crime ) and he was out on parole . There was an accusation made against him saying that he commited another crime , the police contacted him and asked if he would come down to talk to them. He , his wife and I went down to the police precinct to talk to the detective who had the case, where he was promptly arrested . The detecive said to me , that what my nephew is accused of was just a misdermeanor and the judge might just throw the case out. He was arrested and bail was set for $1000 , which we managed to come up with , and he was given another court date. During one of his visits to his parole officer , he was rearrested and taken to Rikers Island correctional facililty. I called his parole officer and asked why did they arrest him again , and he said that he had spoken to his supervisior and he thought that it was the thing to do after speaking to the person that made the accusation. I can understand them arresting him if he violated his parole in anyway , missed a visit , caught caught commiting a crime, but he didnt they just arrested him . Unless he had violated his parole in anyway I was under the impression that the judge made those types of determinations . He was just a hard working young man ( well not anymore , because his job just fired him when he didn't show up because he is currently imprisoned )I just would like to know why was he re arrested over an accusation someone brought against him , and /or is this the normal procedure?

BL

He wasn't forced to plea out . He was given a choice and agreed to it .

Most likely the person making the complaint , filed a sworn affidavit with the PD .

It would then be up to the PO to decide IF it was true and a violation, and take actions .

I'm sure he should have his day in court to dispute it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">