• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay fine instead of finishing community service?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellatalia

State: Illinois
County: Lake (Waukegan, IL - 19th Circuit)

I was arrested a couple years ago for residential burglary , and plea bargained to felony theft and about $1000 in fines and 250 hours public service.

I have completed all but 75 hours of public service, and due to a new job, it is going to be difficult to complete the rest - I will also be needing to move within a few months.

I have been clean on every drug test, paid all ordered fees, etc. All thats left is this 75 hours community service and they will terminate my probation.

Has anyone ever been able to request to pay a fine or another donation to Crime Stoppers (that was part of the original deal, $500 to crime stoppers was part of the fee) instead of finishing community service - with a good reason such as a job?

I can afford another $500 fine vs. the community service, as my new job pays well and I can't afford to be unavailable during the day because of community service.

I have a probation hearing tomorrow.

Thank you!

Edit: My probation term I believe was 30 months, and it is up in April or August. I cannot be sure.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">