• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Persistent offender? in Connecticut

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kensgrl4life

My name is Jeanie and I have spent hours researching Conecticut laws, sentencing guidelines etc. I have found a lot of the information I need but I'm at a stand still now. There are a couple things that are very important for me to find out. I will try to make it as brief as possible. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. Ok first of all my boyfriend is a convicted larceny offender, but what I am trying to find out is if he can be or will be convicted as a persistent serious felony offender or a persistent felony offender. From what I see, to be considered a persistent serious felony offener you have to fit into this.....

C. Persistent Serious Felony Offender - General Statutes § 53a-40 (c)

The defendant has been charged as a persistent serious felony offender under General Statutes § 53a-40 (c).

The defendant stands convicted of [insert appropriate felony].2 The state now alleges that prior to the commission of [ ], the defendant was imprisoned under an imposed term of more than one year or of death in [this state] [any other state] [a federal correctional institution] for a crime.3

The state must only prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant served some amount of time in confinement under a sentence having a term that exceeded one year. The crucial element of the statute is that the imposed term exceeded one year; however, the defendant is not required to actually serve one year in prison but is only required to have been imprisoned.4

Therefore, if you find that the defendant was convicted of [ ] and imprisoned under an imposed term of more than one year or death in [insert appropriate location], you must find that the defendant is a persistent serious felony offender.
Ok, so this is long sorry. But does my boyfriend fit into this criteria? He is charged with Larceny 1 which is a class a felony, but he has never served a sentence of more than a year for a felony, he did serve 15 months that was for a VOP, which leads me to my next question is violation of probation a felony in CT? Also, I'm just not sure if the "one year" they speak of has to be actually related to a felony or just any "one year" for any reason and does it have to be time actually served in jail. Does time time spent in a rehab as a condition of release count? Wow, I know I'm really asking a lot with this one, but please help me if you can. I will relly really appreciate it. Thanks again!!

Jeanie

K

kensgrl4life

Because he just is

I really do not feel that I have to even answer that queston but since you asked, he is still my boyfriend because he is a human being whom I happen to love very much and who has made a lot of mistakes. One has nothing to do with the other. He has never directly hurt me, he has only loved me and cared for me for many years. I do realize that he does hurt me by putting me in situations like these, but I just don't think HE realizes that. Believe me I have made it very clear to him. Hopefully that answers your question.

Jeanie

D

DogToenails

He's knows exactly what he's doing to you and its intentional, not 'mistakes'. Get a clue, sister. He finally found his chump that will give him free sex as he dooms his life and his chump's life (YOURS) to a future of low income and abandonment. Get used to taking care of a lot of children by yourself and in debt. Get used to a dilapidated home (mostly likely one with axles). Get used to arranging a lot of babysitters you can't afford so you can go to court dates or a visit to the bondsman. And worst of all get used to explaining to your kids why their daddy selflishly leaves them for months at a time. What's sad is you're probably a bright young women who would otherwise have a bright future. Makes me sick!

stephenk

"Because he just is"

That one line tells me more about you than you can imagine.

Sorry, I cant help you help him.

K

kensgrl4life

Thanks anyway...

It's called unconditional love, I hope for to experience it someday. And far as life goes, I am a woman who is establised on her own. I don't "need" my man or any other man to avoid a home with axels. I am an intelegent person and there is nothing SAD about that. AND, I do not have nor do I intend to have any children with this man. I appreciate your feedback but unless your goint to give advice, like his forum was intended for, keep your coments to youself.

Judge not lest yee be judged first.....

Jeanie

D

DogToenails

I didn't say you 'need' a man to avoid axles. I said this man will force you to live on some. You said it yourself - 'unconditional love'. So all the money you earn from your skills on hard-work will go toward facilitating his criminal lifestyle. You will have no money left for yourself. I'm glad to hear you're not having children with him. Children are so precious and they don't deserve losers like that for a 'father'. Plus, without kids in the equation, there's a much better chance you'll finally realize that this scumbag doesn't really love you and you'll leave him for one that will. One that will not bleed your income. One that loves you enough make a conscience decision to not commit crimes. You're not in love; you're confused. I wish you luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">