• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plea bargin?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cloe554

What is the name of your state? washington
what do I do if I want a plea bargin? do i just ask to speak with a public defender before i plead, or do i just plead guilty?

n_and

A plea bargain has to be offered. You can't just go to the prosecuting attorney and say, 'Hey, buddy, let's plea bargain.' Only your attorney can do that. Hire an attorney. If you can't, request a public defender, and good luck - you'll need it.

ptlmejo

I think that varies state by state.

I know here in WI, pleading not guilty will get you a pre-trial conference with the prosecutor. There, you can try and plea bargain your way to a deal on your own if you like.

n_and

If you plead not guilty anywhere in the US, you are given a trial. The OP is from Washington, not Wisconsin. I don't care what you think you know, I know that a criminal can NOT plea bargain with the prosecuting attorney during a pre-trial or trial unless they are representing themselves. Only an attorney is able to plea bargain, not a criminal on trial for a crime commited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">