• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stevebr

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

I was convicted and now Im on probation. I have a restitution of $100,000. My question is I want to get married and PO tells me if I will they will go after my wife. Why? Any advice?

Sincerely,
Steve

JETX

From your post, 'who' they go after for the claim against you is really moot. Because if you don't pay it, your probation will very likely be revoked.... putting you in prison.

S

stevebr

No. I'am paying monthly payments for restitution on time. What I mean is that they will go after my future wife assets. What does she has to do with all of this? Can someone help please

JETX

Depending on a LOT of factors, they could have a claim against your wife due to the community property status.

However, your post is still confusing.... and very likely you are trying to get somewhere other than the obvious.
If you continue paying restitution as ordered by the courts, why would you even have a concern as to their ability to go after your wife?? It would seem that you are trying to determine the potential negative on any of your spouses assets in anticipation of your violating the restitution requirement of your probation.

B

badtenant

I guess the prospective wife has money, or assets or is going to be coming into money soon.

I guess the best answer is dont get married just shack-up, then you know they cant touch HER money. Notice i said HER money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">