• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pls help(again !!) understanding disposition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

redmosquito

What is the name of your state? NY

This forum has really helped me in getting some valuable answers regarding my disorderly conduct conviction.

But I need to ask another simple question regarding my certificate of disposition.

My certificate of disposition mentions my arraignment charges:
XXX.YY and XXX.YY

Then followed by Case Disposition Information:
PLED GUILTY AND SENTENCE IMPOSED
PG 240.20
CONDITIONAL DISCHARGE = 1Y
COMMUNITY SERVICE = 2D

What did I plead guilty to?? Arraingnment charges XXX.YY , XXX.yy or to 240.20 ???? What does PG stand for?

At the time of my sentencing I just wanted to get done of the whole thing quickly so I did not dig deep into my conviction.

This whole thing is giving me sleepless nights.

red

R

redmosquito

anyone kind enough to help?

I guess I know that I have pled guilty to 240.20 but I am looking for some to concur with me ...

Also in this case , what happened to the arraignment charges? Were they dismissed?

JETX

Kind of unbelievable that you don't even know what you pled guilty to!!!

However, a HUGE hint is in your previous posts where you said you asked "What is the maximum penalty for disorderly conduct, which is a violation, in NY?"
You seem to have had no problem understanding the charge then!!!

Now you say you pled guilty to 'some' charge, claiming to not know what it is!!

Surprise!!! NY Penal Code (S240.20) shows that you pled guilty to 'guess what'???? Yep, Disorderly Conduct!!!
What a HUGE surprise, huh??

"S 240.20 Disorderly conduct.
A person is guilty of disorderly conduct when, with intent to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof:
1. He engages in fighting or in violent, tumultuous or threatening behavior; or
2. He makes unreasonable noise; or
3. In a public place, he uses abusive or obscene language, or makes an
obscene gesture; or
4. Without lawful authority, he disturbs any lawful assembly or meeting of persons; or
5. He obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic; or
6. He congregates with other persons in a public place and refuses to comply with a lawful order of the police to disperse; or
7. He creates a hazardous or physically offensive condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose.
Disorderly conduct is a violation."

All of this was already covered in your previous post at:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?threadid=168982

R

redmosquito

jetx and hex

I dont know what I was thinking when I wrote that post.

The past few weeks have been really a nightmare for me regarding this conviction. I thought I had closed this dark chapter of my life but it has come back to haunt me. I have spent a lot of time thinking and researching about my conviction and in the end I think I have ended up confusing myself.

Also at my court date I felt so ashamed of myself , and being my first time ever in any courtroom , I did not really have a handle on my situation and went with whatever my attorney told me to.
And thats the reason for this new thread.

But you folks have been really kind and kept patience with me. I thank you all for that.

One last question, as you can see, my arraignment charges are different from the charge I plead guilty to. What happened to those charges? Were they dismissed? Is this a case of plea bargain ?

I am trying to get a correct interpretation of my Disposition.

red

calatty

A guilty plea is almost always the product of a plea bargain. It is a bargain because the defendant is pleading guilty and sparing the county the expense of a trial in return for something, usually in return for being convicted of a lesser charge and/or a reduced number of charges and/or a reduced sentence. The other charges are then dismissed. Plea proceedings go very quickly and consist mostly of legal gobbledy gook, so it is not odd that you did not understand everything that went on.

R

redmosquito

Thanks !!

Thanks a lot calatty!

Its making a lot of sense now ...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">