• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probation, jail or camp/does parent have a say in michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressed out mom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan As a parent, will a judge listen to my request for my 19 year old charged with a felony? Charged with motor vehicle unlawful driving away, he pled quilty and was charged with a high court misdemeanor. He will be sentenced in September. Two weeks after his hearing , he received a notice to appear again before a differant judge, charged with B&E, Larceny and concealing stolen property. This second charge took place at the time of the 1st charge. He was with the person who did this, the stolen property was put in his car, but was found in the other persons house. This is his first offence, he doesn't have a criminal history and was 18 at the time of the crime. I want him to go to a camp for a year as opposed to jail or probation for two years.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

djrizor said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan As a parent, will a judge listen to my request for my 19 year old charged with a felony? Charged with motor vehicle unlawful driving away, he pled quilty and was charged with a high court misdemeanor. He will be sentenced in September. Two weeks after his hearing , he received a notice to appear again before a differant judge, charged with B&E, Larceny and concealing stolen property. This second charge took place at the time of the 1st charge. He was with the person who did this, the stolen property was put in his car, but was found in the other persons house. This is his first offence, he doesn't have a criminal history and was 18 at the time of the crime. I want him to go to a camp for a year as opposed to jail or probation for two years.

My response:

I'd like him to go to camp, too. He can learn to do crafts, learn boating, hiking, and sleeping under the stars. It'll be fun!

This was your son's "first offense"? Um, which one? The "unlawful driving away" or the "breaking and entering"?

Your son is an adult. You have no say in this matter.

IAAL

stressed out mom

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

I'd like him to go to camp, too. He can learn to do crafts, learn boating, hiking, and sleeping under the stars. It'll be fun!

This was your son's "first offense"? Um, which one? The "unlawful driving away" or the "breaking and entering"?

Your son is an adult. You have no say in this matter.

IAAL
I understand what you are saying. I'm not saying he shouldn't be responsible for his actions. He understands stealing the car was a felony and the seriousness. He and his friend were drinking, he thought it would be fun to move the car four driveways down, while his friend, (not him) was taking things from other cars. This all happened on the same night. He turned himself in because he knew it was wrong. I guess what I'm trying to say is .....a camp where he can learn to like himself and build some self esteem would be better than going to jail for him. Going to jail doesn't help a person feel better about themselfs nor does it do anything to make them a better person.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

djrizor said:
I understand what you are saying. I'm not saying he shouldn't be responsible for his actions. He understands stealing the car was a felony and the seriousness. He and his friend were drinking, he thought it would be fun to move the car four driveways down, while his friend, (not him) was taking things from other cars. This all happened on the same night. He turned himself in because he knew it was wrong.

I guess what I'm trying to say is .....a camp where he can learn to like himself and build some self esteem would be better than going to jail for him.

MY RESPONSE: What the hell are you talking about? What's this crap about "self-esteem" and "liking himself"? He's an adult!! Helping him with his psyche was YOUR job. You obviously failed as a parent. The Penal System was built for crimes like his. As a part of society, I'm NOT interested in his psyche. I'm interested in getting him off the streets. Perhaps he'll learn something about "self-esteem" and "liking himself" when he hears that metal door clank behind him. That's usually a big eye-opener.

Going to jail doesn't help a person feel better about themselfs nor does it do anything to make them a better person.

MY RESPONSE: You're absolutely correct. The Penal System isn't there to help someone "feel better" - - it's there to PUNISH. A "better person"? That was YOUR JOB, not ours. Our job, society's job, is to see to it that this adult is punished.

And, you think that all criminals should be set free and coddled?

IAAL

stressed out mom

michigan, probation, jail or camp. Someone is burned out and needs to retire. It's clear to me this forum was a mistake. I was trying to get some real information not sarcastic uneducated remarks from someone who just wants to hear themselves spout!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

djrizor said:
michigan, probation, jail or camp. Someone is burned out and needs to retire. It's clear to me this forum was a mistake. I was trying to get some real information not sarcastic uneducated remarks from someone who just wants to hear themselves spout!!!!!

My response:

Yeah, let me know when your ADULT idiot child is behind bars.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

djrizor said:
michigan, Thank you for your intelligent response.

My response:

You're welcome. Any time you need a good, swift kick in the ass, reminding you that you're a lousy parent, well you just come on back.

What an idiot.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">