• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Revocation/Extradition between Counties

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisaj2791

What is the name of your state? GA

My husband has been in the county jail since 02/01/2007. He was in for theft by taking because his employer accused him of stealing from the company. Initially we were going to try to fight it but my husband decided to enter a plea of guilty and was sentenced on 09/14/2007 and received 4 years probation and $2,000 in restitution. Fast forward to the real problem; he was currently on 10 yrs probation from two different counties. He's completed 8 years without incident. Instead of those counties giving the go ahead to have a revocation in our current county, they both want him returned to their respective counties. It get's worse; he was a police officer and correctional officer in both counties.
Does anyone know if there is any law that says an ex-police officer should not be housed in a facility where they were law enforcement? He says he was railroaded the first time because he arrested one of the county commissioners in public and they vowed to make his life hell. That time, they refused him bail, housed him in general population. Needless to say he went truly went through hell.
We are sitting and waiting for the other counties to pick him up but I wanted to know what recourse do we have. How long do they have to come pick him up? Can we fight his extradition to thos counties? I don't want a repeat of what happened before and our lawyer doesn't seem to have a clue or be concerned.
Sorry this is so long, I'm just really tired and frustrated. Any help would be sooo appreciated.

BL

What is the name of your state? GA

My husband has been in the county jail since 02/01/2007. He was in for theft by taking because his employer accused him of stealing from the company. Initially we were going to try to fight it but my husband decided to enter a plea of guilty and was sentenced on 09/14/2007 and received 4 years probation and $2,000 in restitution. Fast forward to the real problem; he was currently on 10 yrs probation from two different counties. He's completed 8 years without incident. Instead of those counties giving the go ahead to have a revocation in our current county, they both want him returned to their respective counties. It get's worse; he was a police officer and correctional officer in both counties.
Does anyone know if there is any law that says an ex-police officer should not be housed in a facility where they were law enforcement? He says he was railroaded the first time because he arrested one of the county commissioners in public and they vowed to make his life hell. That time, they refused him bail, housed him in general population. Needless to say he went truly went through hell.
We are sitting and waiting for the other counties to pick him up but I wanted to know what recourse do we have. How long do they have to come pick him up? Can we fight his extradition to thos counties? I don't want a repeat of what happened before and our lawyer doesn't seem to have a clue or be concerned.
Sorry this is so long, I'm just really tired and frustrated. Any help would be sooo appreciated.
If his lawyer doesn't have a clue , maybe a good criminal lawyer would .

I know of no law that states an ex-police officer can not be housed at specified facilities,although generally they are not . He could be segregated for his own protection.

My personal feelings are Officials or ex-officials should not be given special treatment or housing .

seniorjudge

Q: Does anyone know if there is any law that says an ex-police officer should not be housed in a facility where they were law enforcement?

A: No, but he could ask for solitary.

Q: We are sitting and waiting for the other counties to pick him up but I wanted to know what recourse do we have. How long do they have to come pick him up?

A: Possibly till one sentence is finished; then the other county would come get him. (Your chronology is unclear...sorry.)

lisaj2791

Please don't mistake a wife's concern for her husband's safety with a plea for special treatment. The fact is the county that is wanting him to return for revocation is the same county where he was placed in general population, the same where inmates he arrested were intentionally placed in his cell, where he litteraly fought daily; where someone attempted to sodomize him; where he was denied bond and told he'd die in prison before he'd go to trial if he didn't plea; where after he put in his plea he was told by this same sheriff that if he ever came back to his county, he'd make sure he'd died there.
Those are the reasons I don't want him in with general population. I'm not saying for him not to have to pay for being stupid and getting himself in trouble. I'm saying it makes no sense for them to require him to come back there. He could have been revoked here. All of probation was transfered here, he didn't have anymore fines or anything with the other two counties, he has a PO here that he was reporting to. He could have been revoked here and sent on to prison. Same result as if he was revoked there. The only difference is that his family wouldn't have to worry about whether he is going to be targeted for mistreatment. Plus, they were in such a hurry to get him once we made a request to have his revocation here but now that he's been sentenced in this county, he's just sitting. He's been there for almost 9 months and not one PO has come to see him. This is just the most backwards system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">