• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Searches? Freinds???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

probate12

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania, Butler County

I just started probation. If I visit friends or relatives are they subject to searches of "their" personal property just because I'm at that persons residence, or can they only search me? Does the fact that I'm on probation effect others that are around me? Or does it only effect me? Also, if I do nothing wrong while on probation, what are the odds that a probation officer will show up at my house unannounced? :confused:

thanks!

calatty

The police cannot search your friends' persons or personal property. I can't say what the odds are in PA that a probation officer will show up unannounced, but if I were you, I would conduct my life as if s/he can and will show up unannounced.

B

badtenant

That means YOU SEARCH YOUR FRIENDS FOR DRUGS BEFORE THEY ENTER YOUR HOUSE.

If you are in a vehicle and one of your friends has drugs or a gun on them, you are gone. Some states have "the hand of one is the hand of all." Hope it isn't yours. PS If you search your friends for drugs before entering your home, as you are on paper try to restrain yourself from confiscating same. Can only lead to angry, ugly confrontations, police, etc. I am being sarcastic there, of course. Drugs will land you in prison, and associating with people who have them will lead you to do them, which will land you in prison. My husband is there now for another 3 years...

Sorry, I forgot something. They will show up unannounced at least every few months or so. Called a 'home visit."If you are on paper, you are not supposed to be in the company of any convicted felons, no dope or liquor around you. They will not follow you to your friends' houses, but if the police show up at your friends' houses, it usually ends in someone(s) going out the door in cuffs. Don't let it be you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">