• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbowman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas to CA

My friend was just put on probation for a year in Arkansas 3 days ago. He has a fine of 1500 to pay that is broken up into payments over the course of the year probation period. He was told that he was only put on probation to ensure payment. Friend returned home to California where he has lived all his life. The Arkansas fine was from driving through - he was never a resident.
So he returned home and was just called by Arkansas probation dept and told that California has denied him returning home and that he must return to Arkansas OR pay the entire fine by Monday of next week.
He doesnt have the money to pay on Monday. Can someone tell me what could happen? He has never lived in arkansas EVER - no ties there. This sounds like extortion to me. What does someone do in this situation?

FlyingRon

It's not extortion. When you break the law of a state, visitor or resident, you are subject to the sentence meted out. Your friend absconded from probation and violated a term of his probation. He's running the risk that Arkansas will put a warrant out for him. If he gets stopped and the warrant comes to light, he'll be held in custody until Arkansas decides whether or not they want to come get him, if they don't (likely), he runs the risk the same thing will happen the next time he's picked up for something.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">