• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probation violation indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DrFreezo

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was placed on probation yesterday for a driving while suspended conviction. I have another driving while suspended case pending in a different county. I appear in 2 days on that charge. The case I'm preparing to appear on was already pending when I received the conviction on the prior offense. If I am convicted, will the new conviction violate my current probation even though it was a pending case when I was placed on probation?

No

A conviction from a charge that you received before you were placed on probation does not effect the terms of that probation. You only face having a violation of probation order placed against you when the conditions of that probation are violated.

So essentially all you have to do is stay out of trouble. :)

xylene

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I was placed on probation yesterday for a driving while suspended conviction. I have another driving while suspended case pending in a different county. I appear in 2 days on that charge. The case I'm preparing to appear on was already pending when I received the conviction on the prior offense. If I am convicted, will the new conviction violate my current probation even though it was a pending case when I was placed on probation?
It won't violate your probation, but it will be subject to additional sentence.

IE your time for the one violation won't run concurrently.

It is also possible that your habitual driving under suspension may wind you up with some time in county jail

Consecutive probation

Probation can run consecutively if the conditions and length fall under the same umbrella. When an individual receives probation from a county that he/she is not a resident in, the probation is almost always transferred to the county he/she is a resident of. With that being said if you are in compliance with the conditions set forth in your probation then after completing 50% of their probation an individual could go before a judge and request to have the remainder of his/hers probation terminated or reduced.

Regarding whether you are going to receive jail time depends on how many convictions you have for this offense. Even though putting and individual in jail for such a small infraction is a waste of taxpayer money doesn't mean it doesn't happen quite often. You could possibly be facing incarceration at your next court date. That depends upon what DA and judge you draw on that day and your criminal record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">