• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Violation In Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA333

What is the name of your state?In VA, I received first offenders status with community service and fines on feb. 15th of 2005 for possession of marijuana. Additionally, I was required to meet with my probation officer once a month and be subject to random testing. I completed the community service and paid the fines. i passed my first drug test, then tested positive for marijuana 7 months later. I deep in addiction and denial. At the advice of my P.O., I enrolled myself in New Bridges, a local 12 week long Narcotics Anonymous treatment center. Also, I attended required AA meetings with the treatment. I have been tested in this treatment center as well as by my P.O. since then. I go back to court in Febuary.
What is likely to happen to me? I have heard about a point system in this state, but i don't know what that entails. Additionally, my P.O. did not set up a probation violation hearing, she didn't even notify me by mail or phone. She simply informed me that i had failed a urine screening at my next meeting. Any advice would be helpful, as I would like to plan accordingly.

seniorjudge

VA333 said:
What is the name of your state?In VA, I received first offenders status with community service and fines on feb. 15th of 2005 for possession of marijuana. Additionally, I was required to meet with my probation officer once a month and be subject to random testing. I completed the community service and paid the fines. i passed my first drug test, then tested positive for marijuana 7 months later. I deep in addiction and denial. At the advice of my P.O., I enrolled myself in New Bridges, a local 12 week long Narcotics Anonymous treatment center. Also, I attended required AA meetings with the treatment. I have been tested in this treatment center as well as by my P.O. since then. I go back to court in Febuary.
What is likely to happen to me? I have heard about a point system in this state, but i don't know what that entails. Additionally, my P.O. did not set up a probation violation hearing, she didn't even notify me by mail or phone. She simply informed me that i had failed a urine screening at my next meeting. Any advice would be helpful, as I would like to plan accordingly.

Why did you delete the first thread you posted asking this same question?

VA333

If i deleted anything, then i did it in error. I intended this post to be followup for the va19 thread... but then decided to post it on its own.

seniorjudge

VA333 said:
She simply informed me that i had failed a urine screening at my next meeting.

When (on what date) did this happen?

VA333

The original offense occured in December of 2004. My original court date was on the 15th of febuary in 2005. My failed urine screening occurred somewhere between late august and early september. My new court date will occur on the 15th of febuary, this year. I began my narcotics treatment program in October.

VA333

She informed me that i had failed at my September 2005 meeting... i just looked at my records. This means that i failed a random urine test in August 2005.

seniorjudge

VA333 said:
She informed me that i had failed at my September 2005 meeting... i just looked at my records. This means that i failed a random urine test in August 2005.
It's apparent you do not want to follow the rules of probation so the only thing that is left is jail.

Heather2

VA333 said:
I don't understand. First you say you go back to court and then you say she did not even set up a probation violation hearing. So what do you go to court for? If she did not set up a hearing it's pretty safe to say you are not going to jail. Even if there is a hearing they don't usually send you to jail for your first violation.

VA333

heather,
In virginia we have a condition called 1st offender status. it means that when you have no prior charges on your record, you can choose to plead "guilty, first offenders," and undergo probation, random urine testing, community service, fines, and not incur any further criminal charges or moving voilations. Then, exactly one year later, you go before the same judge, and she or he decides your ultimate fate. If all the terms are followed, she/he will dismiss the original charge. If not, he/she has the power to enact all, some, or none of the punishment that accompanies such a charge.
I'm simply saying that when i failed my urine screening in august, my P.O. did not take any action regarding a scheduling of a probation violation hearing. She simply advised me to seek treatment at my subsequent meeting with her in september.

seniorjudge
I'm not sure what in your life causes you to seek masochistic pleasure in berating the users of this forum for their mistakes, but I hope that you can find peace one day without intensifying the shame and anxiety of others. (you seem to say the same thing in most posts, try providing helpful information sometimes).

seniorjudge

VA333 said:
...seniorjudge...I'm not sure what in your life causes you to seek masochistic pleasure in berating the users of this forum for their mistakes, but I hope that you can find peace one day without intensifying the shame and anxiety of others. (you seem to say the same thing in most posts, try providing helpful information sometimes)....
Tell me what, if anything, was wrong with my advice?

(Answer: Nothing. It was all correct.)

Heather2

VA333 said:
heather,
In virginia we have a condition called 1st offender status. it means that when you have no prior charges on your record, you can choose to plead "guilty, first offenders," and undergo probation, random urine testing, community service, fines, and not incur any further criminal charges or moving voilations. Then, exactly one year later, you go before the same judge, and she or he decides your ultimate fate. If all the terms are followed, she/he will dismiss the original charge. If not, he/she has the power to enact all, some, or none of the punishment that accompanies such a charge.
I'm simply saying that when i failed my urine screening in august, my P.O. did not take any action regarding a scheduling of a probation violation hearing. She simply advised me to seek treatment at my subsequent meeting with her in september.

seniorjudge
I'm not sure what in your life causes you to seek masochistic pleasure in berating the users of this forum for their mistakes, but I hope that you can find peace one day without intensifying the shame and anxiety of others. (you seem to say the same thing in most posts, try providing helpful information sometimes).
Maybe your PO won't mention it. If she does I would suspect that your probation would be extended. As I said they don't usually send you to jail for your first violation.

VA333

While jail time is a probability, you don't advise me as to whether it will be weekend time (i am a full time student, weekend time would benefit), whether it is likely i will receive a good behavior clause and have some time removed, you aren't specific in any way. You simply say (as in most posts) that I dont want probation and that i must therefore suffer jail. The users of this forum might as well be getting replies from a bot.

seniorjudge

Heather2 said:
Maybe your PO won't mention it. If she does I would suspect that your probation would be extended. As I said they don't usually send you to jail for your first violation.
This wasn't his first violation:

"...i passed my first drug test, then tested positive for marijuana 7 months later. ...She simply informed me that i had failed a urine screening at my next meeting...."

He also said: "...Any advice would be helpful, as I would like to plan accordingly..." but, as you can see by his responses, he did not mean that either.

seniorjudge

VA333 said:
While jail time is a probability, you don't advise me as to whether it will be weekend time (i am a full time student, weekend time would benefit), whether it is likely i will receive a good behavior clause and have some time removed, you aren't specific in any way. You simply say (as in most posts) that I dont want probation and that i must therefore suffer jail. The users of this forum might as well be getting replies from a bot.
No one knows the answers to those questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">