• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pschyiatric hold while on probation. (intoxicated too)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

northernlights

What is the name of your state? California
I am a university student who was put on a 24 month unsupervised court probation 2 months ago for a misdemeanor marijuana charge plea bargained from a felony charge. I have a history of mental disorders although I function well in school and work. I suffer from clinical depression, anxiety, and possible multiple personality disorder. I also have a long history of alcohol abuse as a result of refusing medication for so long. I also have a history of threating/attempting suicide and self-harm.
I recently relapsed on alcohol (4 days ago) and decided I would kill myself by drinking until I fell into a coma or killing myself while heavily drunk. I became so drunk that my family found me bleeding in a pile of broken glass (threatening suicide I might add). They called the police, who found me a block down from my house. They of course knew I was drinking. Just like so many other times they had found me threatening suicide drunk. I am not certain they knew I was on probation. They put me on an involuntary phsychiatric hold at the county mental hospital. I was released within 12 hours. I have since stopped drinking and started taking my medication and seeing my pyschiatrist. I am also 2 months into an alcohol treatment program. This is the second time I was put into a pyschiatric hospital in the last 2 months. The 1st time I was awaiting my plea bargain when I was taken, and nothing was ever sent to me by court. I was also drunk at that time. To make this short, I am worried sick about this. I am very close to receiving a BA degree and going to jail would really be a blow to my life. I do not appear as the person you would think would ever go to jail. Anyways, I have struggled with mental health problems my whole life and it has landed me places where I shouldn't ever go. Do you think somehow would affect my probation? I know drinking alcohol is a direct violation, but I did it for the intent to commit suicide. I have a gut feeling there is a slim to none chance since it was mental health related and it happened to me before, but just not on probation. The cops also knew about my history of illness. I am worried sick about this and I just want some helpful advice. Thanks so much and god bless.

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? California
I am a university student who was put on a 24 month unsupervised court probation 2 months ago for a misdemeanor marijuana charge plea bargained from a felony charge. I have a history of mental disorders although I function well in school and work. I suffer from clinical depression, anxiety, and possible multiple personality disorder. I also have a long history of alcohol abuse as a result of refusing medication for so long. I also have a history of threating/attempting suicide and self-harm.
I recently relapsed on alcohol (4 days ago) and decided I would kill myself by drinking until I fell into a coma or killing myself while heavily drunk. I became so drunk that my family found me bleeding in a pile of broken glass (threatening suicide I might add). They called the police, who found me a block down from my house. They of course knew I was drinking. Just like so many other times they had found me threatening suicide drunk. I am not certain they knew I was on probation. They put me on an involuntary phsychiatric hold at the county mental hospital. I was released within 12 hours. I have since stopped drinking and started taking my medication and seeing my pyschiatrist. I am also 2 months into an alcohol treatment program. This is the second time I was put into a pyschiatric hospital in the last 2 months. The 1st time I was awaiting my plea bargain when I was taken, and nothing was ever sent to me by court. I was also drunk at that time. To make this short, I am worried sick about this. I am very close to receiving a BA degree and going to jail would really be a blow to my life. I do not appear as the person you would think would ever go to jail. Anyways, I have struggled with mental health problems my whole life and it has landed me places where I shouldn't ever go. Do you think somehow would affect my probation? I know drinking alcohol is a direct violation, but I did it for the intent to commit suicide. I have a gut feeling there is a slim to none chance since it was mental health related and it happened to me before, but just not on probation. The cops also knew about my history of illness. I am worried sick about this and I just want some helpful advice. Thanks so much and god bless.
There is no way to tell if your PO / Court will violate you .

Some PO's are more lenient than others .

Continue with your meds , continue with your therapy .

You may be able to enter an inpatient treatment center , if what you are doing will not suffice .

One thing for sure , if you are incarcerated , you won't drink and have the tenancy to harm yourself .

You really NEED to quit the alcohol once and for all .

northernlights

Thankyou so much. I don't think I would ever go to jail. I would probobly do something really bad in order not to, the last time I was in jail I had 4 panic attacks and was on suicide watch until I was released. Jail frightens me to the point of not living. But this is all besides the point. Yes, I will continue with therapy, and if it came down to jail or inpatient rehab, I would definetely chose inpatient.
What I am most curious about is how the court will find out this happened. Do police officers send all the information over there ever day, even ones without a citation/arrest? I mean, I find it hard to believe they would revoke my probation because I attempted suicide. But still, thanks for the advice, I hope to get more good advice.

Also: To the previous post. Alcohol flows in jail and prison. I have an old friend in prison who makes pruno for his housing unit. Home made liquor is very accesible in jail, even more so in prison. So I dont think jail would be the best place for me, emotionally and for my sobriety.

garrula lingua

You probably won't be violated.

If you are, offer to enter a 'closed' (inpatient) alcohol program in lieu of any jail.
Bring a record showing you are seeing a psychiatrist, to court, to show your efforts to straighten yourself out.

Your 'mental' problems don't appear to be as delibitating as the simple fact that you appear to be an alcoholic and you can't, ever, drink without negative consequences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">