• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reducing a felony conviction to a misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

camelot@psalm

What is the name of your state? My name is Camelot and I am in the state of Ohio. I ultimately want to exspung a felony conviction that included a felonious assault. I heard that violent felonies cannot be exspunged in Ohio but perhaps if I get it reduced to a misdemeanor it may be possible.

The probation and restitution have been settled more than seven years ago. This is the first and only offense ever committed. No jail time was served. What can be done?

CavemanLawyer

I've never heard of reducing the level of the charge AFTER being convicted of it. You're supposed to negotiate a lesser charge before you plea and are found guilty (ie: convicted.) I kinda doubt that you can expunge this but you may be able to file a petition for non-disclosure which prevents entities from releasing the record of the conviction. I'm just throwing out general legal options. I don't know Ohio law so this may or may not apply.

camelot@psalm

Thank you for the reply. I wish I had known. But when you are young and have a public defender who does not explain what you are pleading to in full detail you wind up pleading to a felony for hitting someone with a diner plate who has just hit you with a baseball bat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">