• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rescrictions on Convicted Felons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tkouan

I am in California was convicted of Grand Theft Property (Felony conviction for shoplifting). Was given 15 days hard labour (Cal Trans) and 3 years informal Probation.

Completed the Hard Labour and in the second year of my Probation with out a single incedent against good behavior.

I was wondering if there where any Resources I could find that would tell me all of the restrictions that I am now under. Including travel to other countries/States, Voting rights, gun ownership, ect ect ect. I am curious to know what I can and can't do, and what effect an espongment would have on those rights.

Thanks in Advance

T

Tkouan

Informal Probation

Informal Probation - Means that I have no Probation officer nor do I have the restrictions that are put upon those on formal probabtion. Through a recent search I have found that I can indead vote...but I am still searching for restrictions and their long term effects.

HomeGuru

Tkouan said:
Informal Probation - Means that I have no Probation officer nor do I have the restrictions that are put upon those on formal probabtion. Through a recent search I have found that I can indead vote...but I am still searching for restrictions and their long term effects.
**A: yes, you can indead vote. But don't vote for somebody dead.

CdwJava

If the sentence was for felony grand theft (PC 484/487) then don't try hunting or holding on to a firearm or ammunition in the near future. As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure.

I am pretty sure you can travel, though you will have to notify the probation department if you intend to move or travel out of the country ... and I am not sure you can legally leave the country while on probation or not. You'd have to ask the probation office.

Carl

T

Tkouan

Phone Calls are no help

CdwJava said:
If the sentence was for felony grand theft (PC 484/487) then don't try hunting or holding on to a firearm or ammunition in the near future. As for the other stuff, I'm not really sure.
It was Felony Grand Theft, the item was Advertised at 399.99, but with Tax it pushes it over the limit....The DA was not forgiving. In CA the limit is 400, but coming this Winter it will be raised to 1000 presuint to Bill 2705.

I tried to contact the probation office, but they refused to answer any questions unless I come down in person and display my court papers, and 3 forms of ID....way to much trouble just to stay out of trouble

CdwJava

Tkouan said:
It was Felony Grand Theft, the item was Advertised at 399.99, but with Tax it pushes it over the limit....The DA was not forgiving. In CA the limit is 400, but coming this Winter it will be raised to 1000 presuint to Bill 2705.
I searched for "Bill 2705" through the CA state Assembly and the Senate and couldn't find it. I have not heard any word that Grand Theft is being raised to $1,000. I sure as heck HOPE not!

Tkouan said:
I tried to contact the probation office, but they refused to answer any questions unless I come down in person and display my court papers, and 3 forms of ID....way to much trouble just to stay out of trouble
Which is why you will keep getting in trouble.

* Added Note: I found the Senate Bill ...

http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_2705&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen

As amended it will essentially double the value for Grand Theft to $800. Still absurd! And it has not gotten very far yet. It still has a vote pending, and then conference with the state Assembly. So don't be counting on the higher thresholds for theft.

Carl

Last edited:
T

Tkouan

The bill of Bills

AB 2705 -

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2701-2750/ab_2705_bill_20040220_introduced.html
http://info.sen.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_2705&sess=CUR&house=B&site=sen

According to the status it passed not to long ago

One would think that they have it laid out some where, or paper handed to you when you get convicted telling you all of what you can no longer do. I find it most disturbing that I would have to miss a day of work just to find out. I even contacted my lawyer, but he hasn't spoken to me sense I gave him the last of his money the day I was convicted. Thought he was a nice guy :mad:

Found the Email address of the DA that convicted me, sent him an email requestiong information...probably not the greatest courses of action, but we will see how that goes.

Shay-Pari'e

Tkouan said:
AB 2705 -

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2701-2750/ab_2705_bill_20040220_introduced.html

According to the status it passed not to long ago

One would think that they have it laid out some where, or paper handed to you when you get convicted telling you all of what you can no longer do. I find it most disturbing that I would have to miss a day of work just to find out. I even contacted my lawyer, but he hasn't spoken to me sense I gave him the last of his money the day I was convicted. Thought he was a nice guy :mad:

Found the Email address of the DA that convicted me, sent him an email requestiong information...probably not the greatest courses of action, but we will see how that goes.

You are so correct. It would make sense for criminals, wouldn't it? And to miss a day's work? You have a great case against the state, and I commend you for your efforts. We should all get notified of what we can and cannot any longer do, once arrested.

Your lawyer really sucks, and I would be mad also. I hope you hear back from the DA, as I want to see the response. Please share it once you get it.

T

Tkouan

--PARIDISE-- said:
You are so correct. It would make sense for criminals, wouldn't it? You have a great case against the state, and I commend you for your efforts. We should all get notified of what we can and cannot any longer do, once arrested.
To bad the "I didn't know" defense has not worked in years. I think that they should print up little books and had them out faster then they hand out convictions. Common Phone numbers, FAQ section, and most importantly, the list of dos and don'ts of a convict. I was very very nervous for the first months after my conviction, that stayed until I ran into an officer at starbucks, and asked him a few questions....finding out that most traffic offenses won't send me to jail. And even the ones that can, most likely won't. He said cops aren't in the business of ruining peoples lives, keep my nose clean and they won't do any harm. Made me feel better, and not affraid of cops any more.

--PARIDISE-- said:
And to miss a day's work?
Probation office is open 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri - care to guess what my schedual is like?

--PARIDISE-- said:
Your lawyer really sucks, and I would be mad also. I hope you hear back from the DA, as I want to see the response. Please share it once you get it.
With the DAs Approval I will post it here. I try to respect peoples privacy, I maybe a felon, but I am not a monster.

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)Probation office is open 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri - care to guess what my schedual is like?(QUOTE)

I think the general public knows what your SCHEDULE is.

Last edited:
Tkouan said:
A felon can Never be in Possession of a Firearm. It carries a sentence. 5 yrs.
+ in Minnesota. Expongement would be good, but hard to do. You need to
speak with an attorney on that. Just call one or two up and ask them/no charge to ask. You can also look up the Law in your State through a University Law Library Or State Law Library (call on phone). They can tell
you about expongement and may, if you ask, be able to send you a copy.
They could also look up and send you other info. like on Firearms etc. pertaining to your State. Felonies can haunt you 20+ years from now even
without a formal probation officer, that is a good reason to exponge if you can. Don't put out thousands doing it though. Be reasonable. You can look at
my profile and check my other post on expongement. Good Luck to you and
keep your paws off other's stuff!! ~Mary~ :)

stikfa

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but maybe this will help.

The restrictions that get put on you as a felon are considered a disability. Like owning a gun, or lack-of. It is called having a "firearm disability". You do not necessarily need to go to court to get your civil rights back either.

The federal government will recognize your rights if reinstated by the state. You can make a formal request to your states Attorney General requesting a Relief from your Firearm’s Disability. I am sure the process will differ from state to state, this is what I was told to do in Nevada.

I have been looking into this, as well as getting my right to vote reinstated. I can’t seem to find too much info on the voting thing. So if anyone has info on getting the voting right back I would appreciate that. I assume it would be similar to firearms, but just cannot seem to find the info.

Tkouan, how long ago were you convicted?

You might want to wait a few years before trying to regain some of your rights. Keeping out of trouble for a while and showing that you made ONE single mistake during a momentary lapse of reason could be helpful should you go and try to get your rights back

Stikfa

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">