• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rock66

What is the name of your state? PA

I was arrested in 1990 for growing marijuana, I recieved probation without verdict. I had 1 year of probation,which I completed and payed what ever costs I thought weredue. This year I recieved a letter from a collection agency saying I owed money to the courts. I questioned them and they replied they did not know and it was up to me to find out. I called the local courthouse and the explained that I owed 208.00 and my wife owed 197.00 ,that was all they could tell me.Part of my probation was to pay all costs,which I thought I did. I have no paper work saying what I owed ,but I have reciepts that I payed money every month for a year.Is there a statute of limitations on a matter like this . Also this collection agency has been hounding me ,I sent them copies of the reciepts I have .all I want to know is what the costs were for and if I owe the money I will pay it. After more then 10 years and someone calls you saying you owe money is that to much to ask Thank you

JETX

"This year I recieved a letter from a collection agency saying I owed money to the courts. I questioned them and they replied they did not know and it was up to me to find out."
*** The bottom-feeding, scum-sucking collection agent has this all wrong. The FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) requires THEM to provide this information (called validation) when you request it properly. Send them a letter (certified RRR) demanding that they provide proper validation of this claimed debt. A copy of a good sample letter can be found at http://www.creditinfocenter.com

"I called the local courthouse and the explained that I owed 208.00 and my wife owed 197.00 ,that was all they could tell me."
*** Again, you need to WRITE them (certified RRR again) and ask that they provide a complete accounting of the costs.

"Is there a statute of limitations on a matter like this ."
*** Normally, there would be a SOL; however, since payment of these funds is conditional on release from your probation, there really isn't one in this case. In fact, I am surprised that you haven't gotten a knock on the door and been picked up for failing to complete your probation.

"Also this collection agency has been hounding me ,I sent them copies of the reciepts I have .all I want to know is what the costs were for and if I owe the money I will pay it."
*** See above.

"After more then 10 years and someone calls you saying you owe money is that to much to ask"
*** See above

"Thank you"
*** You're welcome.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">