• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restitution with co-defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

graphage

Kansas-My girlfriend is on probation w/ 2 other people. They have been ordered to pay 10,000, split evenly between the 3 of them. They also are not allowed to associate with each other.

She has been paying $350 per month. Her P.O. says that she can not tell her what the other defendants are paying. She has now been paying for 13 months (totally $4,500, which is well over her share of the split). Her P.O. said that one of the defendants is on the run, but she can not tell her which one. She said that as long as one of them is on the run, then they have to continue paying on it till it is paid off....even if they have paid off their portion of the restitution, they still have to continue paying. She was supposed to be off of probation once she paid her share...but according to the PO, as long as one of them is running & the bill is not paid off, she can not get off of it....even though she has paid her share!!!

Could this be true?? Is the PO giving her the runaround? The PO says that all she can tell her is how much has been paid and how much is left. that's it. She won't even tell her how much each person is supposed to be paying monthly......

I am concerned because my girlfriend seems to be getting screwed over and I don't know what to do about it.

Last edited:

K

knorris

I had almost the same situation with my daughter, were she and one of her '' freinds'' stole a book of checks from the friends mother and went shopping. of course they got caught and were both arrested and when we went to court they were both given probation and told to have no contact with eachother and to pay full restatution. well when we had paid our half i contacted the court and told then that my daughter had fullfilled her order of the court and would now like to be through with probation. i was told that the other girl had not paid anything and until the restatution was paid in full my daughter would remain on probation and would be reguired to continue making payments,
so we ended up paying all the restatution with the other girl never paying a dime and only after that was my daughter allowed off probation, so it sounds like your girlfreind may have the same situation to deal with, this isn't much help but just though you'd like to know this does go on. good luck :D

C

CombatTN88

All of three persons are GUILTY and have to share a same punishment. It doesn't matter if a person already paid his share as other didn't. Because they all were guilty, they have to share responsbilities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">