• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restoration of Civil Rights in Maine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssuv93

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. I am trying to find information on how to have my full Civil Rights restored. I am having trouble searching my state's statutes database. "Restoration of Civil Rights" search brings up mostly voting rights info. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Murray
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine. I am trying to find information on how to have my full Civil Rights restored. I am having trouble searching my state's statutes database. "Restoration of Civil Rights" search brings up mostly voting rights info. Any help or direction would be appreciated. Thanks, Murray
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine
Why were your rights removed?

FlyingRon

Voting rights (what is commonly referred to as civil rights) are never lost in Maine (you can even submit absentee ballots while in jail). If you were convicted of a felony, you can apply for a permit for gun ownership after 5 years after discharge of your sentence. You can not get a concealed carry permit EVER nor will you EVER be eligible under federal statutes.

ssuv93

Hello, I was convicted of conspiracy to commit theft at 18 years old and possession of a firearm by a felon at 25 years old. The firearm conviction is a bit unique in that I THOUGHT that I could purchase a firearm after my probationary period. I purchased a firearm through legal channels with all the paperwork, and three years later, sold it again through legal channels including using my driver's license as ID. When contacted by a police detective I cooperated fully. I was then rightfully indited (? sp). At my arraignment I attempted to plead guilty and was not allowed to by the judge until I had counsel. A lawyer volunteered to help, and I explained to him that I was guilty and did not want to go to trial. Reappeared before the judge, advised him that I was guilty, did not want to waste the court's time. He asked what the circumstances were and I explained to him about not knowing it was illegal, that I knew that it was not an excuse, and that I did not try to hide anything, that I cooperated completely with the police, and that I was prepared to go to jail that day. The detective testified very graciously that I had cooperated fully, met with him when asked and turned myself in for arrest as soon as he had told me to. He told the judge that he felt that I clearly didn't know that it was illegal. The judge told me that he had to accept my guilty plea, but believed that there were extenuating circumstances to be considered. He departed from the federal guideline of 10 years in jail and gave me no jail time or probation and asked me what I could afford for a fine.
In Maine I can vote, but can not own a firearm, hold a multitude of professional licenses (real estate license etc.). I also can not cross the border to Canada to see relatives or attend funerals.
I understand that I rightfully lost my rights to these things by my own actions. I am just trying to get them back if there is a proper way to do it.

FlyingRon

I answered the question already for you then. You can apply after 5 years from the discharge (end of sentence/probation). It's discretionary (not a lock) and will only be issued for up to four years (then you reapply). As I said, no concealed carry even if you get the permit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">