• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restoration of firearm rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SwissMetric

I am 30 years of age and live in Washington state. I was convicted of grand larceny and burglary 7 years ago in Massachusetts. I have completed all restitution agreements and legal obligations. I am not on parole or probation. I had no criminal record prior to the massive error in judgment that led to my conviction nor have I had problems since. I am a husband and father of two. I am a hard working, voting, contributing member of society and would like to pursue having my right to own firearms restored. I have read so much information pertaining to this topic which has left me confused and overwhelmed. Much of the information I have perused is in contradiction to that of other sites. Can anyone shed some light on what steps to take and the proper order? Any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help. Thank you for taking the time to read this post!

Quote for today

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
Frank Leahy-What is the name of your state?

BL

I am 30 years of age and live in Washington state. I was convicted of grand larceny and burglary 7 years ago in Massachusetts. I have completed all restitution agreements and legal obligations. I am not on parole or probation. I had no criminal record prior to the massive error in judgment that led to my conviction nor have I had problems since. I am a husband and father of two. I am a hard working, voting, contributing member of society and would like to pursue having my right to own firearms restored. I have read so much information pertaining to this topic which has left me confused and overwhelmed. Much of the information I have perused is in contradiction to that of other sites. Can anyone shed some light on what steps to take and the proper order? Any and all help and advise is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your help. Thank you for taking the time to read this post!
Quote for today

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."
Frank Leahy-What is the name of your state?

Q: I was convicted of a felony in another state. Can I have my firearm rights restored in Washington?

A: It is only fitting that since you can be prosecuted in Washington for possessing a firearm after being convicted of a felony in another state, that you can have the right to possess firearms within the State of Washington restored by a Washington court. You could not be prosecuted by the State of Washington. However, federal courts have held only the convicting jurisdiction may restore firearms rights. Thus, you could be prosecuted by the federal government. In order to remove the federal firearm disability and gain approval status with NICS, you must have your firearm rights restored by the state in which you were convicted. In some cases, an expungement or setting aside may remove the federal firearm disability - depending on the law of the state in which you were convicted.

Q: I was convicted of a felony in another state. Can I have my firearm rights restored in Washington?

A: It is only fitting that since you can be prosecuted in Washington for possessing a firearm after being convicted of a felony in another state, that you can have the right to possess firearms within the State of Washington restored by a Washington court. You could not be prosecuted by the State of Washington. However, federal courts have held only the convicting jurisdiction may restore firearms rights. Thus, you could be prosecuted by the federal government. In order to remove the federal firearm disability and gain approval status with NICS, you must have your firearm rights restored by the state in which you were convicted. In some cases, an expungement or setting aside may remove the federal firearm disability - depending on the law of the state in which you were convicted.
a pardon would restore gun rights not an expungement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">