• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restoration Of Firearm Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

turkdavi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

In 2002 I was charged with Simple Assault/Domestic Violence. It is a class B Misdemeanor as defined in ND Centry code : 12.1-17-01. This charge prevents a person from posseing a firearm under fedral law 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9).

18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(33)(B) states what quailies under this law.

I am attempting to legaly own a firearm. I know that I can get a pardon, I have attempted to research who and what has been pardened before but have not had any luck.

But what I really want to know is ND Centry Code 62.1-02-01 states that anyone conviced of a felony may have firearm prevlages back after 10 years and anyone convected of a class A Misdemeanor may have their firearm privilages back after 5 years. Including assault charges with a firearm.

What is the best course for me to go. Most people would agree that a lesser charge should have their rights restored the same as a higher charge. I don't want to hire an attorney "cost to much" and I will most likely take this to court to get a real answer not some opinon of an attorney. Are there any laws that I am missing that make my case sinceless, or is there any laws that will help me out?

One last thing is that I no longer live in ND, I live in MO. I assume that since I would need to get that charge pardoned from ND to state that I can have a firearm, any law that states that my firearm privileges would be sufficient. Am I correct?

turkdavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkdavi
I know that I can get a pardon
Okay, if you're so confident then go for the pardon. Problem solved.
I did not mean I could actually get a pardon. All I meant is that that is one route that I can go and get my firearm rights restored. I have looked into previous pardon with no luck. I have no clue if I could actually get pardoned or if the governor would pardon a case like this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">