• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail Theft under 300

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PKRafe

Im from Illinois. I was involved in retail theft. I was fined 1000 dollars. i have a court date next month. what can i expect as a sentencing. I already signed a confession.

JETX

PKRafe said:
Im from Illinois. I was involved in retail theft. I was fined 1000 dollars. i have a court date next month. what can i expect as a sentencing. I already signed a confession.
No one can guess what might happen to you. The fact that you were fined $1000 would imply that the court is taking a hard line on your criminal conduct.

JETX

PKRafe said:
well does anyone know standard sentencing on retail theft.
That is my point. There is no 'standard' sentencing.
What happens is ENTIRELY up to the court at the time, based on lots of factors.
Some are:
1) Previous history
2) The facts of YOUR case
3) Even whether the judge is in a good or bad mood.
The law just gives you a maximum sentence. The court can lower it if they want.

So, what was the EXACT charge and what is your EXACT criminal history??

PKRafe

here is the whole story.
I worked at a famous Home Improvement store. I was at the returns desk and i was dealing with an angry customer. our store is having problems keeping customers because of the waiting and poor customer service. I couldnt get a management approval for a return with out the product being there (paint). the paint was mixed wrong. and it was like 150 dollars in paint that was defective. normally we get instant approval. I couldnt get one, so after the customer left to get other items, i took it upon myself to return the items. it turned out to be a cash sale of 167.09. i then placed the money in a till bag and placed it aside into my apron. the customer never showed back up and i left for the day. when i took off my apron, that bag was still in there without me knowing it (i forgot about it) the next day, i was pulled into the LP office and was questioned. i was charged with RETAIL THEFT under 300 dollars. Now i have a court date on august 22.

any advice will be helpful. i spoke to a lawer and he said if i already signed a statement about what happened, there is no reason to fight it. I was only charged with this because i didnt follow procedure. and it looked like i was pocketing money. Ive worked there for 2 years and havent had problems until now. I can understand me being fired, but i sure hope its a small sentence. I don't want jail time.

PKRafe

i also forgot to post that I HAVE NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND. no other fines except a parking ticket.

JETX

PKRafe said:
i also forgot to post that I HAVE NO CRIMINAL BACKGROUND. no other fines except a parking ticket.
Not relevant. We still can't GUESS what a court might do!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">