• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Revocation of probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

firewalk05

What is the name of your state? Ga
My daughter, who has a drug problem, was found guilty of possession with intent to distribute, a few years ago, she was placed on probation. We have not been close, for a long time due to her life style. A few months ago, while I was in the hospital, seriously ill, she burglarized my home, taking every thing I had, of value, all of my jewelry, t.v.s, vcr, camcorder, cash etc. She even took my Bath towels, food, some of my clothing, she basically stripped my home, leaving only the furniture which I guess was to heavy for her. The police found 3 of my T.V.'s and my Karaoke at a pawn shop. Nothing else has been recovered, she also took my property deeds, Ins. and all important papers. I took out a warrant for her, and learned someone else, had also taken a warrant for her, for stealing several hundred dollars from them. She was arrested for Violation of probation. I was subpenoed as a witness. I found out from the D.A. that she has 6 more years of probation. The Judge found the state had proved their case on burglarizing my home and found the state also,had proved their case on the theft of the money. The Judge put off the sentencing. I have never had any dealings, with the law and am completely ignorant of how it works, in cases like this. Since the state proved their case, does this mean she will have to serve the rest of her time (6 yrs) behind bars? I was told, if she pleads guilty, I will not have to go to court, on the burglary charge. If she pleads guilty, does that mean she, gets a lighter sentence? SHould they make her pay restitution, for what she stole from me? which is thousands of dollars in value, since my illness, I am now unable to work and see no way, that I will ever be able, to replace all she took from me. If she pleads guilty, will she only be charged for the items recovered? Or will she be held responsible for all the things, which have not been recovered? She is not a child, she is 38 yrs old. I raised her son, because of her neglect, and am proud to say he is a U.S.Marine, on duty in Okinawa.

JETX

"Since the state proved their case, does this mean she will have to serve the rest of her time (6 yrs) behind bars?"
*** Generally, yes. Plus additional time for her 'new' charges.

"I was told, if she pleads guilty, I will not have to go to court, on the burglary charge. If she pleads guilty, does that mean she, gets a lighter sentence?"
*** She could plead guilty to the new charges and receive a lighter sentence if that is offered by the prosecutor. However, this would likely have little impact on the previous 6 year sentence.

"SHould they make her pay restitution, for what she stole from me? which is thousands of dollars in value, since my illness, I am now unable to work and see no way, that I will ever be able, to replace all she took from me."
*** Based on the information in your post, do you really think that she would ever have anything to pay you, much less the full value?? Of course not. And even less likely with her being in prison. Your insurance should cover your losses.

"If she pleads guilty, will she only be charged for the items recovered? Or will she be held responsible for all the things, which have not been recovered?"
*** She is only charged for the burglary and that is an 'all inclusive' charge. They do not file or prosecute for each individual item. Simply, the charge is for the action, not the items.

"She is not a child, she is 38 yrs old. I raised her son, because of her neglect, and am proud to say he is a U.S.Marine, on duty in Okinawa."
*** And be sure to thank your grandson for his service from the rest of us. Semper Fi!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">