• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Running Away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

himynameis

What is the name of your state? Michigan

If someone is in trouble with the law in Michigan, could they just move to another state and be rid of it all for a long while? I am on probation in Michigan. I am nearing the end of the 12 months of reporting probation that was assigned to me. But in this past month since my last visit to my probation officer. I have accumulated 3 traffic tickets, 2 pending charges of felonious assault, and a motorcycle misdemeanor. If I were to leave the state of Michigan and go to California for a while will all these things follow me to California or will it hold off for a while?

Thank You

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Michigan

If someone is in trouble with the law in Michigan, could they just move to another state and be rid of it all for a long while? I am on probation in Michigan. I am nearing the end of the 12 months of reporting probation that was assigned to me. But in this past month since my last visit to my probation officer. I have accumulated 3 traffic tickets, 2 pending charges of felonious assault, and a motorcycle misdemeanor. If I were to leave the state of Michigan and go to California for a while will all these things follow me to California or will it hold off for a while?

Thank You
If they've filed charges against you, those charges will remain until you appear in court and take care of them. They're not going to go away, not even if you move away. If you fail to appear in Court, you're going to have a warrant issued for your arrest. You'll end up getting picked up in CA and you'll spend time there awaiting extradition back to MI.

You'll also get a warrant issued for revocation of your probation since you're in violation by getting new criminal charges. Another violation will be leaving the state without permission of your probation officer.

Hope you like jail.

Yeah buddy I looks like you are going to do sometime. But you probably already knew that.

When you have felony charges against you and you leave and go to a different state you are almost always going to be extradiated back to where you committed them. BUT if they were misdemeanor charges and you left state the charges would most likely eventually (after 5-7 years) be dropped. ESPECIALLY if you were never formal charged with the crimes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">