• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sealing juvenile record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

M1k3

What is the name of your state? California

Hello all i need some legal advice.I am 21 now and when i was a minor i did something stupid and was brandishing a knife at someone and i got caught.So the case has been closed for years now and it was a misdemeanor brandishing a knife(dont remember the penal code .It was a stupid thing i have done and now i regret it.And the judge just granted that my record will be sealed , and now i am waiting for a letter from the court.

So my question is when everything is all clear will i be able to legally purchase a firearm?Due to the fact they ask if i have ever been convicted of a crime.I dont want to try and go buy one and get in more trouble.

And what will i expect from the letter?will it show a date when it will be clear or is it automatic when it was granted?

Thank you
Mike

P

pass23431

Although laws do vary from state to state, juvenile records that are generally sealed have no bearing on whatever your future pursuits may be. However, if the "mistake" you regret making as a juvenile was brandishing a knife, I will ask you to ponder that making the "mistake" of brandishing a firearm as an adult, will hold much stiffer consequenses.

M

M1k3

Thnk u for your reply.

It was truelly a mistake that i will not make again.My father has been in the military and is now a retired LAPD officer and always taught me safe firearms handling.And i will walk in my fathers foot steps by joining the LAPD.Iknow what i have done was wrong and if i can go back i could of changed it.

Anyone else have more info on this matter stated above?

Thank You

Mike

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">