• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sentence modification/reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mosantos

I have a friend serving approximately 6 months of a 1 year sentence in San Diego, CA county jail. He plead guilty to arson of an inhabited residence. The judge was very cold when considering his case. My friend was involved in a gang, in which they used physical punishment to enforce orders. He was ordered to throw an explosive device at a house.

However, there was little damage, it totaled around $5,000.

He presented to the judge that
-At the time he had 2 jobs.
-He got approximately 5-7 letters for character
-He had the classes he registered for for the spring semester
-His dad is 87, has memory trouble, so my friends mom needs help taking care of him.

-Hes served approximately 60 days so far
-In jail hes a trustee and working, could get recommendations from his bosses.
-Active in bible study and church
-Taking computer literacy classes.
-No prior convictions.
-He is 20 years old.
-He has a lot of support from his family and his girlfriend.
-He has expressed remorse and is eager to repay his debt to his mother and move on with his life.

Is there any way he can get a sentence modification to reduce his time in jail or a parole? Basically anything to get him out sooner? What ways can he have a high chance of success if he attempts to do so? Thank you in advance for any help.

CdwJava

He already got a deal! Much better than the crimees deserved! He could have received a sentence enhancement for the gang activity and been in prison!

He can speak to his attorney, but it sounds like he already got a better deal than he deserved. He'll be out soon enough ... and hopefully he stays away from the gangs and crooks ... but, I wouldn't hold my breath.

- Carl

Just Blue

mosantos said:
I have a friend serving approximately 6 months of a 1 year sentence in San Diego, CA county jail. He plead guilty to arson of an inhabited residence. The judge was very cold when considering his case. My friend was involved in a gang, in which they used physical punishment to enforce orders. He was ordered to throw an explosive device at a house.

However, there was little damage, it totaled around $5,000.

He presented to the judge that
-At the time he had 2 jobs.
-He got approximately 5-7 letters for character
-He had the classes he registered for for the spring semester
-His dad is 87, has memory trouble, so my friends mom needs help taking care of him.

-Hes served approximately 60 days so far
-In jail hes a trustee and working, could get recommendations from his bosses.
-Active in bible study and church
-Taking computer literacy classes.
-No prior convictions.
-He is 20 years old.
-He has a lot of support from his family and his girlfriend.
-He has expressed remorse and is eager to repay his debt to his mother and move on with his life.

Is there any way he can get a sentence modification to reduce his time in jail or a parole? Basically anything to get him out sooner? What ways can he have a high chance of success if he attempts to do so? Thank you in advance for any help.

You ARE kidding ....right..? :confused:

CELL7627

He could try to file a motion to modify citing his mitigating points.
The judge could do 3 things with the motion...1) accept and reduce is sentence, 2) deny it 3) deny it and INCREASE his sentence. So....Tread lightly

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">