• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations on a felony

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fennell

What is the name of your state? Montana
My daughter was charged with felony assault about a year ago. A crime that she did not actually commit. She was 14 at the time and because she was scared she ran away. She was charged but never convicted because she ran away. Can you tell me if there is a statuted of limitations for this crime?

JETX

"Can you tell me if there is a statuted of limitations for this crime?"
*** Yes, there is a SOL for charging the crime. However, since she has already been charged (per your post), the SOL issue is moot. Simply, once charged there is no longer an SOL.

F

fennell

still confused

She had a hearing to determine if she would be detained until trial and was released . If she didn't go through a trial then was she charged? I'm sorry to sound so confused, but where we live they are very difficult to get answers from and currently we have a teenage runaway because she is being unjustly accused. We are very afraid for her and are doing what we can to help her.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: still confused

fennell said:
We are . . . doing what we can to help her.

=======================================

My response:

That's what I thought. I was wondering how a 14 year old could "successfully" jump bail, and run away, without assistance.

Well, not only is she in trouble, but when the authorities find out that you aided, and abetted, a fugitive from justice, then you're also going to be in for the "time of your life."

Good luck. You're going to need it - - right along with a terrific, expensive, defense attorney.

IAAL

F

fennell

Im not asking for your judgement. She is a 14 yr old girl being descrimiated against in an unjust small town. I am just asking if there is a statute of limitations for this.
Certainly you are aware that occasionally there is unjustness in our society. This is one of those times.

HomeGuru

fennell said:
Im not asking for your judgement. She is a 14 yr old girl being descrimiated against in an unjust small town. I am just asking if there is a statute of limitations for this.
Certainly you are aware that occasionally there is unjustness in our society. This is one of those times.
**A: what is your highest grade of education?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Why do I get visions of "Billy Jack", protecting the rights of, and making right the "injuctices" done to, those wonderful Indian kids?

IAAL

JETX

One thing that I find interesting in this thread is the writers initial statement that she was charged with "A crime that she did not actually commit."
How do you not ACTUALLY do a crime?? You either do it.... or not.
And if she is really as 'innocent' as you claim, why is she on the run??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">