• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen property on school grounds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

distraughtmom

What is the name of your state? Pa.
My 14 year old son has ADHD and has an I.E.P. in school.He does not always have the ability to think before reacting to situations, and often makes poor judgement calls.
He recently got into trouble at school. The kids in his class found a wallet on top of a vending machine and went threw it, taking out ID and other items, including a paycheck. Some of these items were thrown into a nearby trash bin, and money was being passed around by these students. My son was not involved in the initial taking of the wallet, however when handed the money and empty wallet as the last thing the kids did because of fear of being seen, my son panicked and flushed this money handed him into a toilet and threw the wallet away as he did not want to be caught with it on him. He panicked. He kept trying to lie to the school , and the local authorities were also called afterwards as well. He did eventually tell them that yes, he did had this money, and wallet, and what he had done with them, but neglected to tell the whole truth of the matter which involved many other students, as he said he was in lots of trouble already so why get everyone else in trouble. In other words trying to protect the other students since he was already in trouble. I need help and advice on what to do and what to expect to happen possibly, and how to find the truth of the matter out. Can these items be fingerprinted to as to prove what he told me had really happened? Apparently there will be a legal involvement,and a court hearing. My son didnt know until afterwards who it belonged to, and he feels pretty bad about it all. Please help!!??

calatty

That other kids were involved does not lessen his own culpability. He was right that he had nothing to gain from tattling on other kids except enemies. At the least he is guilty of stealing lost property. All he can do is go through whatever court processes are required, with an attorney. Neither his conditions or his remorse will make a difference. He might get some form of probation.

D

distraughtmom

calatty said:
That other kids were involved does not lessen his own culpability. He was right that he had nothing to gain from tattling on other kids except enemies. At the least he is guilty of stealing lost property. All he can do is go through whatever court processes are required, with an attorney. Neither his conditions or his remorse will make a difference. He might get some form of probation.

Thanks very much Calatty, for your time.
But shouldnt he tell the whole truth when asked, ( from beginning to end..) and that would include the stated above about the other kids, who found and picked up the wallet, and he initially didnt know it and wasnt a part of it until they handed it to him so THEY wouldnt get into trouble themselves? I dont like a 'rat' but I do believe in telling the entire truth, no matter what , when asked.( I also think its wrong that they purposely handed my son this wallet so they wouldnt get into trouble themselves....kind of the very opposite of what he's trying to do to help them in their part in this matter.)
This is a dilemma for him I know as I know he is trying to protect the other kids even though he didnt know them well. I thought the entire course of events were important as well? And I understand that he has done wrong and must pay for it . ( and he does too ) Can there be high fines involved, and what is the 'worst' that can happen, especially if he were to do something like this again, or steal anything?
I do not use his medical condition as an excuse for his extreme poor judgement but rather so as to understand in a child with hyperactivity 'disorder' ( and A.D.D.) there is always present a tendency to act before thinking, and I had stopped giving his medicine to him recently and am trying a more holistic approach because I found out that his medicine causes cancer. These kids are bright and can hold promising futures if understood and given a chance.
Once again, I thank you for your time Calatty. Oh, and by the way, I love Northern Ca., and lived in Ca. for 14 years. My son is a native Californian also.

D

distraughtmom

calatty said:

I wanted to also tell you that I appreciate very much the fact that you take time like this on this message board to help people like myself and my son out. Sometimes good people do bad things, not everyone who makes a mistake is a bad person. ( as you know)
Thank you Calatty!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">