• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

straight sentence/split sentence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fire_rain53

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ALABAMA

My son is currently in prison on a five year sentence for drug poss.
He started serving in March of 2004 and has already received a parole
consideration date of August 2004. Prisons are very overcrowded and early
parole for non-violent drug users are becoming common.

His problem is that he has another outstanding case in another county. The DA has offered a 15 year split 3 sentence as a case settlement. I don't know if it would be wise to take this offer...or just ask for the straight 15 years, so he could possible get the early parole. They say he can't receive good time or early parole on a split. He must serve the full 3 years.

Any advice?

Thanks

HomeGuru

fire_rain53 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? ALABAMA

My son is currently in prison on a five year sentence for drug poss.
He started serving in March of 2004 and has already received a parole
consideration date of August 2004. Prisons are very overcrowded and early
parole for non-violent drug users are becoming common.

His problem is that he has another outstanding case in another county. The DA has offered a 15 year split 3 sentence as a case settlement. I don't know if it would be wise to take this offer...or just ask for the straight 15 years, so he could possible get the early parole. They say he can't receive good time or early parole on a split. He must serve the full 3 years.

Any advice?

Thanks
**A: choose the one that will give him more time to reform.

F

fire_rain53

advice

Actually....that could be good advice. BUT.... These are older cases that took a long time to come to court. During that time, my son admitted himself into an in-house rehab and spent 7 months there before he was sentenced. He has been drug free for some time. I would like him to finish his jail time and go back into the rehab or a halfway house. As his parent, I do want what is best for him. I have a large problem with the inhumane treatment in prison...and want him out of there and into treatment. Drugs, alcohol, fighting, gay activities, poor food, unsafe water, hot weather with no AC or fans, cruel and insensitive guards, outlandish phone bills....etc. You break the law...you go to prison....It's not the Holiday Inn. But, they keep throwing all these drug users in prison, making prison populations unsafe, overcrowded, and not doing a darn bit of good in rehabilitation. It doesn't work! I want more! I want him out of there as soon as possible. Has he learned his lesson? What's that? Drug use is sometimes just a temporary fix for an underlying problem, be it depression, sadness, the need to feel something...or whatever. Learning a lesson is not the answer. I would like to heal my child....not just punish him.

thanks

HomeGuru

fire_rain53 said:
Actually....that could be good advice. BUT.... These are older cases that took a long time to come to court. During that time, my son admitted himself into an in-house rehab and spent 7 months there before he was sentenced. He has been drug free for some time. I would like him to finish his jail time and go back into the rehab or a halfway house. As his parent, I do want what is best for him. I have a large problem with the inhumane treatment in prison...and want him out of there and into treatment. Drugs, alcohol, fighting, gay activities, poor food, unsafe water, hot weather with no AC or fans, cruel and insensitive guards, outlandish phone bills....etc. You break the law...you go to prison....It's not the Holiday Inn. But, they keep throwing all these drug users in prison, making prison populations unsafe, overcrowded, and not doing a darn bit of good in rehabilitation. It doesn't work! I want more! I want him out of there as soon as possible. Has he learned his lesson? What's that? Drug use is sometimes just a temporary fix for an underlying problem, be it depression, sadness, the need to feel something...or whatever. Learning a lesson is not the answer. I would like to heal my child....not just punish him.

thanks
**A: ok, then you need to consult with a good criminal defense attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">