• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suspended sentence for 2C:39-5b in NJ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

racer_x_

What is the name of your state ? New Jersey
Is it possible to get a suspended sentence for NJ statute 2C:39-5b unlawful possesion of a handgun??

This statute has a mandatory minimum sentence of 5 years in prison. Pre trial intervention is not elegible for this statute.

I was told by a friend about suspended sentencing and I am unclear of how it works or if it is applicable at all to this particular statute.

FlyingRon

A suspended sentence means that while they have given you a set period of sentence, like five years, they may "suspend" some or all of it and let you out of jail. There's usually some condition (probation, not committing additional crimes, etc..) that allows them to reserve the right to restore the suspended part.

I've got no idea if it is allowed or even if it is, if a judge would be inclined to issue it in your case. With this much on the line, you need a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">