• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suspended Sentence and License

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kristyna

What is the name of your state? Washington

My 14 yr old daughter took a car without permission. She received a suspended sentence on the condition she serve community service and is on probation for one year.

We received notice in the mail that her driver's license was revoked for one year until 6-10-04 (she didn't have one yet of course) because of a felony involving a vehicle.

We had forgotten about the notice until now when she tried to get a permit and they said her driving privileges have been revoked.

Does it matter that her sentence was suspended? Does the court need to clear up this matter or does she need to wait a few months? She has already begun taking her driver's ed classes.

Thank you

VR_Hunter

My Opinion: Your daughter needs to wait a few months. It would be good for her. She committed a crime. The best thing you can do is make her wait even though she will rant and rave. Be the parent. The drivers ED classes will still be good in a few months, then she can drive. We are not talking years here, but a few months.

Not my Opinion: If the sentence was suspended, then there is a problem within the system and it should be rectified.

Probation is just that. If she doesn't get into trouble for the probationary period, nothing more happens, if she does get into trouble, the original sentence (possibly more) can be reinstated.

Question: Did she finish her community service? If not, then she violated probation.

Kristyna

Thank you for replying.

I agree that she can wait, it's her father who wanted me to find out. If he wishes to contact the court about this, he may do so.

She finished her community service long ago and has not violated probation.

R

Ramoth

It's also possible that the sentence that was suspended was seperate from the license suspension.

Kristyna

It is seperate.
The deal we made with the prosecutor was that after one year, if she did everything she was suppose to, her record would be clean as if nothing had happened.
However the department of licensing shows she has a felony involving an auto and that's where the problem started.

She was able to finish her driver's education classes without the permit, but when her year is done, she needs to make sure the felony is off her record so she can get a permit/license without hassle.

thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">