• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft (Class B Misdemeanor) - Deferred Adjudication?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thomaszak

Houston, Texas

I am from Houston, Texas and while I was at an electronics store, I made a stupid and impulsive decision (had a rich background of these spurred on by my ADD) to shoplift a $549.00 Video Card (for a computer).

I was followed by a secret shopper throughout the store, I knew what he was doing and for some reason my logic didn't seem to kick in.

So I decided to steal this item and when I was leaving I was chased and tackled by an LP associate from the store. A few words were exchanged, for example, "I will shoot you in the head if you continue to struggle."

I was taken to the county jail and spent the night and most of the following day. I was released on a free PR Bond. I have read about deferred adjudication and was told that it is a bad deal but with the incredible amount of evidence on me (videos, statement, witnesses), I cannot plea not-guilty (or so I think)

Three questions:
1. Should I bring up what the Loss Prevention Associate did and said to me? Will this help me? Can I press charges for assault?

2. Should I plead no-contest or guilty? I heard no-contest protects me from any further civil litigation.

3. Typically, how expensive is it to have records sealed and is it possible to have a Class B misdemeanor expunged in the state of Texas?

Kane

You need to get a lawyer. A conviction for theft has serious and permanent consequences.

As a general rule, you should never plead guilty until or unless you've reached a plea bargain with the prosecutor.

In Texas, a conviction can never be sealed. A deferred adjudication can be.

Cases can only be expunged if they're dismissed.

thomaszak

I do not have a criminal record. I didn't write very clearly. I have a history of making stupid choices not necessarily illegal ones. I am very thankful for your responses and I have found today at the first hearing how Theft charges are no joke. I will be getting legal representation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">