• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transferring probation from Washington State to Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktkaboom

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My boyfriend is on probation in Washington State. He wants to transfer his probation to Illinois, but his probation officer told him he had to have a relative in Illinois to do that. Is that correct? He has a job waiting for him and we are going to be married as soon as he is able to get here

seniorjudge

Your boyfriend's probation officer has the key to the jailhouse.

Your boyfriend must do what the probation officer says.

Even if.

End of story.

Indiana Filer

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My boyfriend is on probation in Washington State. He wants to transfer his probation to Illinois, but his probation officer told him he had to have a relative in Illinois to do that. Is that correct? He has a job waiting for him and we are going to be married as soon as he is able to get here
Under the Interstate Compact, a probation officer does not have to allow the transfer unless there is a family member or an existing job in the other state. Your best bet would be to go to Washington, marry your boyfriend, and then return to Illinois. Your husband would then have family living in Illinois, and would be eligible for an automatic approval of the transfer.

I'm a probation officer in Indiana.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">